Alternator wiring

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
VW_Man_87

Alternator wiring

Post by VW_Man_87 »

Ok I have a 2 wire alternator and Ive seen people with the same one that has a ground wire on it. Is that ground wire needed and where does it connect to?

Thanks
Jeremy
im in need of a new front clip for my 74 ghia, i dont care what year its from but i need one in order to fix my front end, can anyone help out?
Marc

Re: Alternator wiring

Post by Marc »

The ground wire isn't really needed since the alternator should be in direct physical contact with the pedestal/engine. It's a legacy of the externally-regulated alternators, where it did serve a purpose by assuring that the alternator and regulator were clamped electrically, but on an internally-regulated alternator there's no need - about the only difference you might notice with/without it is a slight change in the warning light action, and then only when there was a poor ground path from alternator to engine and body.
If it were needed for the charging system to function it'd have to be the same gauge as the B+ wire.
sideshow

Re: Alternator wiring

Post by sideshow »

It's not needed, but I run a brown wire from generator's regulator bracket (body).
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.