Any Problems From A High Output Alternator?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Jim Ed

Any Problems From A High Output Alternator?

Post by Jim Ed »

I have a 1973 Beetle.
Stock 1600 cc dual port T-1 engine.

Stock electrical system with no extra power drains.
No air conditioning. No electric heater.
No big stereo.
No extra lighting system.
I usually drive it once a week about 10 miles or less.
It used to have a generator with external regulator.
In 1992 I installed a 55 Amp AL-82 Bosch alternator kit with internal regulator that
I got from C.B Performance.
I want to replace that alternator just to make sure I have a good one that will last a long time.
Would a high output 90 Amp alternator keep the battery charged any better than the 55 Amp AL-82 alternator? I thought it might put out more Amps at idle speed.
Do I have to add any larger wires for it?

Would I have any problems if I choose this one:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/90A-Altern ... /58660.htm
Is it made in China?
TIA!
Chris V

Re: Any Problems From A High Output Alternator?

Post by Chris V »

I've got a 75A that's been providing faithful service for sometime...but requires more RPM for it to start charging - so idle voltage is actually worse.

It really wouldn't do the job of charging the system any better, but the 'duty-cycle' would be reduced that may extend the lifetime of the alternator itself...and larger wiring would be very wise, it can be quite simple to add a parallel wire from the B+ terminal to the B+ on the starter motor using an extra diagnostic jack wire from a `70's car.

In Dad's other car I deleted the B+ from the C-pillar harness altogether and was lucky enough to have Mario make up a custom large cable that bundled along with a custom-layout DF-wire goes through the firewall over #1 cylinder:
Marc

Post by Marc »

When fitting a higher-output alternator into a car with a stock 12V harness, an easy way to increase the ampacity of the B+ circuit is to add a 10GA wire from the alternator to the positive battery cable at the starter. It can pass through the front tin where the backup light wires go; ensure that it can't flop into the cooling fan.
fusername

Post by fusername »

Marc wrote:When fitting a higher-output alternator into a car with a stock 12V harness, an easy way to increase the ampacity of the B+ circuit is to add a 10GA wire from the alternator to the positive battery cable at the starter. It can pass through the front tin where the backup light wires go; ensure that it can't flop into the cooling fan.
almost exactly what we did when we put a high output in the bug. left the stock wire that ran to the VR, and just doubled it up and disconnected the Vr, so stock wire went from the alt, to essentially a splice at teh VR, to the battery. Plus a 10 ga from the alt to the starter to the battery, PLUS a 10ga straight from the alt to the batttery, cause we could!
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

Marc wrote:When fitting a higher-output alternator into a car with a stock 12V harness, an easy way to increase the ampacity of the B+ circuit is to add a 10GA wire from the alternator to the positive battery cable at the starter. It can pass through the front tin where the backup light wires go; ensure that it can't flop into the cooling fan.
Hmmm. I thought I should replace the big wire from the alternator to where the voltage regulator was on the left side under the back seat with a bigger/smaller gauge wire.
fusername

Post by fusername »

Don't replace, just double it up.
give a man a watch and he'll allways know what time it is. give him two and he can never be sure again.

Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I also ran an additional 10 ga. wire from my alternator to my battery when I upgraded to a 75amp alternator. Works like a charm.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

Devastator wrote:I also ran an additional 10 ga. wire from my alternator to my battery when I upgraded to a 75amp alternator. Works like a charm.
Where did you get this 75A alternator?

Can you please reply with a link?

How many amps does it put out at idle?

Do you have to be going at a high rpm before it 'kicks in'?
Devastator

Post by Devastator »

I got it from Pacific Customs, although I see they no longer carry that particular item. It was a closeout IIRC.
http://www.pacificcustoms.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

I never checked the output at idle. My alternator was working just fine, but I wanted to take advantage of the closeout price.
Devastator's Build Thread

Sandrail

2.4 liter, supercharged Chevy Ecotec

"If everything seems under control, you're just not
going fast enough."
Mario Andretti
Jim Ed

Post by Jim Ed »

I think I will get another AL-82. The one I have has lasted over 20 years.