No music?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
crvc

No music?

Post by crvc »

I don't listen to the radio much but months ago noticed nothing coming out of the speakers. At the same time the radio display is working. It's an AM/FM designed to fit without cutting up the front. I bought it at CIP1 4 years ago. I looked under the hood. There's two fuses and both are intact. How do I tell whether both speakers have died? These I got from Ebay, same time as the radio. How much current does the radio send to the speakers. I can access the speaker wires where they come out of the radio. Will a voltmeter tell me whether there's current to the speakers? Sorry to belabor the point but taking out the speakers would be a PITA.

IA,

kevin

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/k ... G_2562.jpg
foreverska

Re: No music?

Post by foreverska »

Well I would Ohm meter across the wires going to the speakers. Depending on the speakers you should see close to 4 or 8 ohms (within an ohm). Drastically higher or lower would indicate a fault in the speakers or speaker wires. Also make sure neither wire shorts to ground. This can really confuse some radios.

I'm not sure how well volt or amp metering the stereo would work as they are both moving targets a digital volt meter might not be able to keep up with maybe an analog would work though.

I have a little 5 watt test speaker I bought at radioshack for $10 for just such a purpose. If the stereo can't drive that then there is something seriously wrong with the stereo.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Test the speaker first with a common battery (best two AA ~3volts) by listening for a pop or movement of the cone when touched.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
barls

Post by barls »

more than likely the pre amp out of the stereo. i killed a few. funnily enough it sits right under the wipers and gets leaked on if your seals arent perfect.