Anyone utilizing a Drive-by-Wire Throttle?

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Bobs68VW

Anyone utilizing a Drive-by-Wire Throttle?

Post by Bobs68VW »

The clutch, fuel and throttle cable tubes are rusted out in my Chassis Tunnel. I AM NOT going to screw with installing new tubes!!!!

So, I'm going to a Jamar style hydraulic clutch and brake assembly.

Then, there's the throttle...I'd like to cobble together a dependable electrical/electronic throttle pedal/throttle linkage actuator.

Anyone gone this route???
Kafer_Mike

Re: Anyone utilizing a Drive-by-Wire Throttle?

Post by Kafer_Mike »

I'm not familiar with anyone running a DBW throttle. What about using a morse cable like you use in rail buggies?
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Everyone I have talked to that used a hydraulic throttle jerked them out real quick. As far a fly-by-wire you can have throttle lag to them which is hard, if not impossible to get rid of.

Morse cables have problems themselves especially on the sand. The cable entrance and exit can jam if you have damp sand and (supposedly) you can get sand intrusion into the cable if you are in fine sand or due to wear; I'm not sure on the lubrication bit anymore as it has been too long since I owned a boat of any kind. I did the boat thing for many years and while they were used a lot there for throttle and steering they had a penchant to stick when they sat as I remember.

I looked into them when I started to do sand stuff and was recommended away from it.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

They used to make these cute little rubber accordion bootie things that sealed both ends of the cables<>sleeves to keep the sand out... I'm sure someone still makes them.

As to a diy DBW: You go first.

The Megasquirt developers won't touch it, fire, fire, run away.

Toyota probably feels about the same at this point.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Lots of info at efi101. It requires a different mindset in tuning load sites incrementally.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Its been a while but the "booties" dried out and cracked which is one of the problems we ran into.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Its been a while but the "booties" dried out and cracked which is one of the problems we ran into.

I would be shocked if no one makes a version that uses decent rubber.

...Perhaps Yamaha or Honda... Bikes are the most common application that comes too mind, "dust boots".
Some of the setups for jetskis are not only dustproof but waterproof.
Unless you are harvesting old boots off 20 year old bikes they should last fine.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Correction, I was talking about the style with soft lines (twisted cable?) entering and exiting the housing. If you have the shaft entering at both ends then you have to deal with rod travel distances before you can start curving the cable. It is still my understanding that the boots are/were still a problem but then I haven't been into marine for a while either.

When I was looking into a kit for a throttle several years ago, the places I visited I was given the impression (direct and indirect) that the same problems still existed and is was assumed to be part of normal maintenance. I guess the key to this is "several years ago" as I don't remember now just how long several years ago is :wink: .

It also might be a factor as to where I live vs. somewhere else. Pretty humid here most of the time so maybe that can make a difference. Today, for example, the expected humidity will range from a mid-day low of 78% to a current high of 97%

Lee

Edit: I forgot to add that there is a bend radius minimum also that is part of the mix.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

In the original post, he says the "throttle cable tubes are rusted out in my Chassis Tunnel" so I assume it's a door car; not a buggy. The morse cable, if securely mounted in or along the tunnel, should be fine without the dust boots in the enclosed cabin or space. :wink:
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Morse cables have a lot of stiction and are stiff. A long bicycle brake cable can be adapted.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

Steve -- Agree. That's what I'm suggested, a shielded throttle cable. Pegasus offers them made-to-order https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=1270. I guess "morse" was an incorrect reference on my part.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Kafer_Mike wrote:In the original post, he says the "throttle cable tubes are rusted out in my Chassis Tunnel" so I assume it's a door car; not a buggy. The morse cable, if securely mounted in or along the tunnel, should be fine without the dust boots in the enclosed cabin or space. :wink:
Mike, some guys with rails do run their cables inside of the frame tube just like some run their electrical in the tubes (motorcycle fashion). Unless the gide tube is open enough to blow compressed air through it to get rid of the "collections" I think a boot is appropriate but it can wear and/or dry out and crack if stored out in the weather.

Lee
luftvagon

Post by luftvagon »

1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Since throttle cable are usually a pull only situation why even use a tube... Back in the dim times (1968) I build a "beach buggy" now it would be relabeled as a "sand trail" and there was not tube for throttle, just a few "guide loops" to keep cable in control.... Worked fine, and no tubes to gunk up...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"