KG wiring

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
weldvair

KG wiring

Post by weldvair »

I bought a 1971 Karmann Ghia vert 9 mos ago. I have been restoring it & one of the last things
I have to do is wire up A new turn signal switch. The old switch was removed when I bought the car.

I have been searching for info as to where the 8 wires on the new switch go for days & have not been
able to find the info that I can understand.

Can you tell me where the wires go.....please

1. black
2. green w/black stripe
3. gray
4. red w/black stripe
5. brown w/white stripe
6. brown
7. white
8. black w/white stripe

Don :)
retired mech engr living in central florida
Chip Birks

Re: KG wiring

Post by Chip Birks »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... 70_usa.jpg

This should have what you are looking for.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The black/green+white stripe is the switch input from the flasher.
Black/green stripe is switch output to RH lamps
Black/white stripe is switch output to LH lamps
Brown and brown/white stripe are for the horn and headlamp HI/LO relay control ...sometimes on a replacement switch alternate colors may be used.

What generates the confusion is that the replacement switches come with three EXTRA wires which have no application on US-market VWs. Usually they are gray, gray/red and gray/black IIRC. A visual inspection of the switch will reveal that they go to a second set of contacts alongside the primary t'signal contacts. These could be used as intended for a selective parking light function (lighting up just the lamps on the traffic-side if you must abandon the car on the side of the road, using power supplied by an auxiliary toggle)...doubles the time before the battery goes dead.
Most folks just snip `em off; personally I go ahead and feed them through into the trunk as "installed spares" - if the primary contacts ever go bad, these wires can be put into service in place of the "black" three. Typically they're of lighter gauge but still adequate to function, at least while waiting for a new switch to come.
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

Thanks Marc.....that will help

Don
retired mech engr living in central florida