new wiper switch

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
weldvair

new wiper switch

Post by weldvair »

I bought a 7 terminal switch for my 71 KG. i bought the car with many items missing....one being the wiper
switch.

I need help on wiring this switch Pic (att).......if it will work.

Please help.....Don picture of switch to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by weldvair on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
retired mech engr living in central florida
Marc

Re: new wiper switch

Post by Marc »

I warned you a long time back that it would be problematic adapting a non-VW wiper switch to a VW wiper motor - if the switch you purchased is a 141 955 517A it should be easy ...First, though, you'll need to successfully upload a picture or the circuit diagram (it didn't come through above).

jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

This looks like the pinout for that dual-motor switch

B: power in
W: washer power out
1: Motor 1 Low
2: Motor 1 High
3: Motor 2 Low
4: Motor 2 High
5: Park (both motors)

But without knowing how the terminals work on that switch (particularly the Park), I couldn't speculate how to wire things, whether the park function will work, won't work, or will short out / blow fuses.

Plus, your 71 KG already had a dash switch, so why not just buy a direct replacement (the part number Marc gave)?
weldvair

Post by weldvair »

I'll buy a new original switch. I am having health problems now so it will be a while.

Thanks for all the input.

Don :)
retired mech engr living in central florida
Marc

Post by Marc »

Speedy Jim has a nice diagram which shows how the stock switch operates; you could check the switch you have now with an ohmmeter to see if it conforms functionally, but I doubt it -- a stock switch is guaranteed to work.
The problem with the stock setup is the washer system. Since there's always pressurized fluid at the switch (until the spare goes low enough for the washer-bottle-cap regulator to cut it off) there's a possibility of a leak that'll hose down your radio. It's not hard to gut the water-valve from the switch and install a microswitch in its place; that can be used to trigger a relay to power an electric pump. Mount the bottle/pump high enough and you won't have a significant drainback problem (causing delay of the washer squirt initiation). You can also employ a checkvalve intended for aquarium airline to prevent drainback.

http://www.speedyjim.net/schem/wiper2.gif