push button ignition/horn

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Marc

Re: push button ignition/horn

Post by Marc »

bikesndbugs wrote:...thinking momentary switch for the swap from horn to starter so hold the button and start so there is never the issue of forgetting to swap it back over...
Only problem with that is that it'll take two hands (assuming you take my advice and mount the SPDT switch well away from the pushbutton) to start the car should it stall in an inconvenient place - like when you're in the left-turn lane when the light turns green with impatient folks behind you). Also assumes that you've got another way to sound the horn. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Still sucks compared to just restoring the system to stock, or merely finding a way to permanently mount the existing "wrong" ignition switch so it no longer bangs against your leg.

Here's the wiring diagram for a `68 again, for those who missed it: http://vintagebus.com/wiring/bug-68+69.jpg

..this thread is starting to remind me of past interminable dialogs with folks who insist upon finding some way to replace the stock windshield wiper switch with a toggle :twisted:
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

its not only to stop the banging on leg its for the different factor its gonna be a baja bug anyways so stock is boring to me. to me its a project to learn from. Ya the spdt will be far away i might to a spst to a spdt relay so i can do momentary switch to the relay to make sure the switch isnt left on starter in a hurry. Ill also be getting an aftermarket steering wheel so the horn on steering wheel probably wont work. Im trying to get it done this weekend.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Marc

Post by Marc »

You could scrap this whole plan and just use a toggle for the ignition and a pushbutton for the starter. For an "anti-theft" feature, just run a wire from the negative side of the coil (Term 1) up front as you would to connect a tachometer. Mount a simple SPST switch hidden under the seat that taps into that wire and shorts it to ground when thrown. If someone tries to steal the car away, they'll get normal dash warning lights when they turn on the ignition and the starter will crank when they push the button, but the engine will not start. It won't fool everyone, but it'll easily stymie anyone who couldn't figure out their way around your overly-complicated setup.

You've reached my limit, I have nothing more to offer. Good luck.
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

thank you sorry for all the hassle.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site