LED light problem

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
Piledriver

Re: LED light problem

Post by Piledriver »

The marine brass ones work well, although you need a battery terminal reamer as the inside finish is as cast.
Any auto parts store should have the crimp tool for terminal ends on battery cables.
(not a loaner, for use there)

The marine style use a 5/16" stud connection rather than the lame strap clamp setup, so the cable gets a crimped on terminal.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tattooed_pariah

Post by tattooed_pariah »

I may have misunderstood the problem, so let me make sure I'm clear..

OP is trying to use a dual filament bulb where the factory had a single filament.

If that is the case, you may need a universal trailer adapter. They run about $20 at walmart or any parts store. It basically is a box with a diode in it that will allow you to use a single dual filament bulb as brake/tail and turn signals.
-pariah

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

1972 VolksRod Build Thread
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

tattooed_pariah wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm I may have misunderstood the problem, so let me make sure I'm clear..

OP is trying to use a dual filament bulb where the factory had a single filament.

If that is the case, you may need a universal trailer adapter. They run about $20 at walmart or any parts store. It basically is a box with a diode in it that will allow you to use a single dual filament bulb as brake/tail and turn signals.
Aaaah.... No.... Double contact bulb, STOP & TAIL in double contact STOP & TAIL lamp socket, one half of bulb works fine (STOP) other half of bulb (TAIL) does not... Socket problem or bulb problem, that is the question... Most people are leaning towards poor connection in socket...

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
tattooed_pariah

Post by tattooed_pariah »

ahh, ok, yeah if you can hook up the bulb in another socket or test bench you can determine if the leds are bad or not.. otherwise I would guess wiring/connection.
Dale M. wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:01 am
tattooed_pariah wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm I may have misunderstood the problem, so let me make sure I'm clear..

Aaaah.... No.... Double contact bulb, STOP & TAIL in double contact STOP & TAIL lamp socket, one half of bulb works fine (STOP) other half of bulb (TAIL) does not... Socket problem or bulb problem, that is the question... Most people are leaning towards poor connection in socket...

Dale
-pariah

"I never trust a fighting man who doesn't smoke or drink or at least cause a little trouble." -Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr.

1972 VolksRod Build Thread
craigpeter

Post by craigpeter »

There have some good LED lights I think. I have been using TerraLUX Light Sart 180 for long time. Color- Black, Bulb type- Light emitting diode (LED).
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Piledriver wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:45 am The socket/ground locating notches tend to corrode, where the little side nubs lock in//connect...
Its usually only pot metal (zinc alloy) even if chromed, it will corrode over time even if kept dry just from humidity
once you scrape them clean put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on everything to preclude further corrosion. (unless you can score the magic stuff the military uses these days, haven't looked if they sell it on ebay. Yet...)

got a picture or name?