ms2 3.0 main board????

machineshopjohn

ms2 3.0 main board????

Post by machineshopjohn »

built my ms2 3.0 a couple of years ago. trying to wire into my sand car now with relay board and was doing research and came across a section of the manual that says if i using edis4 that the ms2 needs to be configured for a hall effect and not a vr sensor.. As i read the manual at the time i was assembling i didn't see any docs on this. but now manual says that edis vr is converted to hall effect and to jumper ms2 to that effect.. this is a first time fuel injection user and i did a lot of research but did i miss this .. any help on this please???

thanks on advance
Piledriver

Re: ms2 3.0 main board????

Post by Piledriver »

The EDIS setup is sort of a stand alone ignition that the MS just controls.
The tach input circuit will only see *12v so it needs to be configured as if you were hooking a Hall setup to it.

Back in the bad old days of B&G firmware, it was the ONLY way to go crank fire on MS.
That was a LONG time ago. The world has moved on.

Direct fire setups are recommended for years now, you have ~zero diagnostic help with EDIS: it works or it doesn't.
If it dies, you get to replace parts until it does.

EDIS support is still useful if you perhaps have a car that has it already installed, but as a retrofit? why?

(*or perhaps 5v, have slept much since looking at it and deciding why bother)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
trbugman

Post by trbugman »

Everything you have read is correct, it's just that some of it has become outdated.
The new manuals use the VR input for just about everything but coil triggered fuel only installs. The old method of using the opto-in for EDIS was for the 2.2 board and was just carried over 3.0 board without further testing. It was later found out that the 3.0 VR input is much better and is even used for HALL input now.

This is just my opinion, there is nothing wrong with EDIS, but with the MS2 there is no need for it. You do lose functions like rev limiters and more importantly crank timed semi-sequential fuel injection. With EDIS the ECU doesn't know where the crank is, it only gets 2 pulses per rev.
2333(103x70) Type 4 DTM MS3+X on 73 Karmann Ghia ignition only with LS2 truck coils firing in sequential, fuel next.
machineshopjohn

Post by machineshopjohn »

so finally got some time to look at this post again... are you saying that i don't need to rejumper ms2 and leave it as vr pickup???? do you know where to find docs on this??? and how to wire in coil????
thanks
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

All you seek starts on page 106 of the new manuals for ms2 w/3.0 mainboard
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... e-3.3.html

The only bad part of the new manuals is you cannot link to a particular part anymore, or I don't see how, anyway.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

Piledriver wrote:All you seek starts on page 106 of the new manuals for ms2 w/3.0 mainboard

The only bad part of the new manuals is you cannot link to a particular part anymore, or I don't see how, anyway.
To link directly to to a page, right click on "This Page" at the top and it gives you the link

http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2 ... 3-106.html
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool.
I was left clicking on it wondering WTF it was supposed to do :oops:

Sorry about the Seahawks losing.
jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

machineshopjohn wrote:so finally got some time to look at this post again... are you saying that i don't need to rejumper ms2 and leave it as vr pickup???? do you know where to find docs on this??? and how to wire in coil????
thanks
If you use a VR crank sensor input directly to MS2, you don't need to change anything.
If you use a Hall crank sensor input directly to MS2, you do need to solder in the 2 jumper wires (and possibly a pull-up resistor depending on your sensor).
If you use EDIS as the input to the MS2, you do need to solder in the jumper wires just as if it were a Hall sensor.

His point was, you don't really need the EDIS module. You can run the sensors directly into the MS and fire the coil(s) from the MS too.