Distance of wire between MSD and coil?

STOICH

Distance of wire between MSD and coil?

Post by STOICH »

Does anybody know how far a MSD 6AL can be mounted from the coil? I want my MSD away from the radiator and fuel, etc. It would be about 13 feet in wire length total. Anybody know of any changes, wire size or whatever needed to do it?
Dale M.

Re: Distance of wire between MSD and coil?

Post by Dale M. »

MSD in their specification states you can extend the length of the wire if you go next size (gauge) larger....

See MSD document: "Wiring Diagrams and Tech Notes" (WDTN) page 8.

http://www.msdignition.com/instructions ... terms=WDTN

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
STOICH

Post by STOICH »

Thank for the lead Dale. I was a bit unsure of the wording so I called MSD tech line as I wanted to clarify that the wires stated on page 8 could actually be the wires between the coil and the MSD box. I explained I'd like to mount the MSD in the front area of my rear engine car for the safety of the unit and my passengers. When the tech stopped laughing, he said "the standard length of wire provided is plenty long enough for your application. No. That is too long." The crystal ball this guy has is awesome.
jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

14 gauge wire between the box and coil is capable of handling the coil's current (3-5 amps) over a 13 ft distance. No real need to increase wire gauge, but you can go to 12 gauge if you'd prefer.

If you are extending the mag pickup wires, make sure they are twisted together like the exiting wires to minimize interference. No need for larger than stock gauge wire here either as the current is very low.

Though I guess don't see the full reasoning of mounting it up front vs just sticking it in the engine bay.
Dale M.

Post by Dale M. »

Don't think I would put much faith in him as a tech rep...

I mounted the MSD box behind the seat of my buddies 32 Ford roaster and we had to extend the wires to coil and distributor, with no problem, fortunately battery was also behind the seat so main power leads were fine....

Dale
"Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson
1970 "Kellison Sand Piper Roadster"
STOICH

Post by STOICH »

jhoefer wrote:
Though I guess don't see the full reasoning of mounting it up front vs just sticking it in the engine bay.
Totally appreciate the feedback. I have alot of stuff crammed in to a pretty small area on my rail. Fuel injection stuff has sprung high pressure leaks before (atomized spray) and is not what I want near the MSD as I did catch the car on fire at one point from something similar. In another instance, I had a fuel tank leak severely in a roll over causing a huge puddle under the vehicle while upside down, so I don't want it near the fuel tank in the back of the car. If I can comfortably mount the MSD behind the dash I would be stoked. I guess I will just give it a shot and see how it goes. My only discomfort is I have a 100 mile drive to the desert to see if it actually works under normal driving conditions. I guess I will just be prepared to mount it in the back if it is acting weird. Thanks for the thoughts, we shall see
Marc

Post by Marc »

Shouldn't be any limitations provided you follow the suggestions to go up a step on the wire gauge. As far as the coil-to-distributor high-tension lead goes, anything under ~3' should be no cause for concern. I've seen recommendations from MSD to keep it under 4-5"; the ol' "one-eyed-mechanic" rule in the days before high-energy systems was to keep the coil wire length below that of the longest cap-to-plug lead, if you stay under that you're essentially guaranteed to have no issues.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

If that is your concern you need a set of COPS and ditch the distributor entirely.

No exposed spark gaps.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
STOICH

Post by STOICH »

Marc wrote: As far as the coil-to-distributor high-tension lead goes, anything under ~3' should be no cause for concern. I've seen recommendations from MSD to keep it under 4-5"; t
Maybe that is the confusion here. I am referring to the primary side, the 14 gauge wiring that controls the coil signal. The secondary wiring, or "coil-to-distributor high-tension lead" is only 6 inches long. Won't know until I try. I'll know by Monday :P
STOICH

Post by STOICH »

13 foot of wire from the squirt to the MSD... 15 feet from the MSD to the coil. Seems like it wants to give it a go.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Shouldn't matter for the primary side, doesn't the MSD just use logic signal for input?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

MSD can use either logic (points, pertronix, optical, etc.) or magnetic AC VR trigger (MSD distributor, CB magnaspark module).

The wires from the MSD to the coil are 400 + volts so you may want to run those away from low level signals like thermocouples.

For many years back in the 1990s I ran an MSD module in the back of the car and ran the +/- coil wires up to the front of the car to fire the coil on my gas heater. I was running two MSD modules, one for the engine and one for my heater. getting by lol.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

My thought was that in the use described, with the MSD near the coil, the MS>MSD box signal is very low voltage/current.
I'd simply use shielded twisted pair or better, StarQuad mic cable. 20-22 ga or even less would probably work fine, its just signal wire.