MS v2 ignition only questions

darisb

MS v2 ignition only questions

Post by darisb »

I'm building a 550 Spyder kit car. I've been building the car and collecting parts for a few years. Along the way I picked up a set of Dellorto 40's, and had them rebuilt and jetted for the 1915. A little while after that I picked up a used MS v2 setup, minus the throttle body. I want to get this car running, and cut back on the spending. I'm thinking I will run the MS v2 for ignition only with the carbs for a while. The car will mostly be used for cruising, so I would like the ignition to perform similar to an SVDA distributor. FI will probably come later.

I had someone put together an 1915 NA for the car. I will probably make another harness. The MS setup came with a Dub Shop hidden crank trigger package and a IGN-4 coil. I had the engine builder install the pulley with the spacer and a new seal. I installed the VR sensor. What other sensors do it need to get the ignition going? I will probably build a new harness.

In terms of the installation, I'm thinking I probably need to install the ECU in the passenger area, maybe behind the passenger seat. I would imagine I would need to install a vacuum line between the carbs and the ECU. Do I need to do anything to the Dellortos to get the proper vacuum signal, or would it be better to install some of the CB Performance vacuum spacers under the carbs? The thing that worries me is the custom exhaust has bungs for O2 sensors (two, one per bank), but it looks like the O2 sensors might make contact with the swing axle tubes. Do I need an O2 sensor for ignition only?

How realistic is it to try to break the motor in with a MS system that was previously used on a F.I. vehicle? The builder has not done any crank fired ignitions. Would I be better of buying some parts for my old 009, and having him use that for the break-in?

Thanks,
Daris
darisb

Re: MS v2 ignition only questions

Post by darisb »

I've been doing some digging and I think I've come up with an answer to my question. It looks like I will need the following:
  • Harness
    IAT
    CHT
    Distributor hole plug
Optional items:
  • TPS
    Wide band O2 sensor
I'm still not sure what to do about vacuum.
darisb

Post by darisb »

I was looking at pictures of my Dellortos. There are vacuum ports at the base of the carbs, next to the mixture screws. Are these the correct ports for the ECU?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I would say either go with CBs plates, or drill and tap your manifolds for vacuum ports. Then combine all 4 hoses together, pass it through a small fuel filter and then run the hose to the ecu.

Plug the dual wideband ports, put one in the exhaust after all 4 have been collected together.

What coils are you planning to run?
darisb

Post by darisb »

Ok, makes sense on the plates. The used MS setup I bought came with an IGN-4 coil. I think I'm just going to use that for now. This Spyder is costing me a small fortune.

Do I need the wide band 02 sensor for ignition only. My exhaust is a 4 into 2. There are dual mufflers. The header to muffler flange is about an inch away from the muffler. The merge right before the muffler is under the swing axle tubes. I'm pretty sure one side is going to hit the axle tube. The other side "might" clear the axle.