VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

ToRy 70

VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

Post by ToRy 70 »

Hi all,

I've been lurking and slowly assembling stuff for the car again. I'm moving away from my MS1 v2.2 and EDIS ignition to a new MS3Pro EVO. I'm still going to run wasted spark, except using a smart coil this time. The VW 106B/106E coil is a popular choice for this application.

I got the coil/plug wires (and ECU) from Mario (thanks Mario!), but I need some help with the particulars. Specifically, the coil side terminals are kinda weird. Mario has had good experience assembling the wires by using the friction of the terminal boot to keep the wire in contact, but I'm hoping I can find parts to make this connection more robust/OEM. Can anyone point me in the right direction here as far as crimp terminals go? There's a close-up shot of what's inside the little plastic pieces- they look like mini HEI towers. I'm also considering cutting up OEM wires and putting normal spark plug terminals on the other end, but two of the wires per set are WAY too short. I'd need to spend $150-200 in plug wire kits to get wires long enough to reach all 4 cylinders.

Also, I made a few of these universal mount brackets by welding threaded stainless spacers to a flat plate. If these coils get more popular, I can make more or turn over the design to Mario to include in a kit.

Thanks!
-Tory

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Piledriver

Re: VW 106E/106B coil parts - need help!

Post by Piledriver »

IIRC, LS2 coil wire connections are compatible if not the same.
(I have not used those coils but I know they kick pretty hard, working on a few MK4s etc, bad plug wires on those can produce an awesome lightning show at night)

On my LS2 coils, I used 4 long plug (HD factory resistance type) wires for a HD Twincam, which IIRC were 11" long, might not work for you. The Twincam uses Delphi ion sense coils, which is what I used at first. They fit the LS2 coils too.
(they were $12, total, at the HD dealer... I cut them down to suit. The short wire for the twincam were closer to $12 each, go figure)

...might not be long enough, but I'm pretty sure Accel, MSD or Taylor sell crimp on ends that fit LS2 coils.

If not the same, VW Vortex might provide a source for the right connectors...
or try the original manufacturer:
http://www.beruparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=12
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Piledriver wrote:IIRC, LS2 coil wire connections are compatible if not the same.
(I have not used those coils but I know they kick pretty hard, working on a few MK4s etc, bad plug wires on those can produce an awesome lightning show at night)

On my LS2 coils, I used 4 long plug (HD factory resistance type) wires for a HD Twincam, which IIRC were 11" long, might not work for you. The Twincam uses Delphi ion sense coils, which is what I used at first. They fit the LS2 coils too.
(they were $12, total, at the HD dealer... I cut them down to suit. The short wire for the twincam were closer to $12 each, go figure)

...might not be long enough, but I'm pretty sure Accel, MSD or Taylor sell crimp on ends that fit LS2 coils.

If not the same, VW Vortex might provide a source for the right connectors...
or try the original manufacturer:
http://www.beruparts.com/category.sc?categoryId=12
Thanks for the leads, I'll do some more homework and probably try a few.

panel

Post by panel »

ToRy 70 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:37 pm Thanks for the leads,
Now that's punny :lol:
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Hahaha I didn't do that on purpose!

ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

From fishing around on MSExtra boards, I found a source who has used LS1 terminals/boots to great effect. I ordered a few pairs to see how they match up. The PN is MSD 3304 and I will report back soon. Thanks for the info and help so far guys.
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

I think the terminals are fairly standard 4mm items.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Hi Bruce, you are correct. I measured the ID of the terminal and it's a little over 4mm, so that makes sense. Just hard to get calipers down into the coil towers, and most manufacturers don't list terminals with dimensions! So I didn't want to order a bunch of stuff by guessing.

The LS1 terminals fit great. The boots are snug on 8mm wires and the coil towers, and the connection positively clicks into place. The PNs I'm using here are MSD 3304.

[BBvideo=853,480]https://youtu.be/1vEjOvxNbPA[/BBvideo]
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Good to know.

Also note LS2 coil terminals are identical to LS1.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
ToRy 70

Post by ToRy 70 »

Piledriver wrote:Good to know.

Also note LS2 coil terminals are identical to LS1.
Did not know. Learning all kinds of stuff new to me!