Upgrade for turbo motor with points igniton

GARRICK.CLARK

Upgrade for turbo motor with points igniton

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi all.
So , I'm using Points, condenser, standard coil.
I've got boost retard using a DVDA vac can.
It works ok, but I'm looking at getting into high boost territory and don't think a standard ignition will do.
BUT, I no nothing about the aftermarket ignition.
Plus, there is so many different ignitions out there its a bit confusing.
I may in the future go fuel injection too so might need a set up to control both.
SO what would you suggest I do.
Is there an aftermarket off the shelf kit out there.
GARRICK.CLARK

Re: Upgrade for turbo motor with points igniton

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

So I've read were Mario explains the 3 different types of ignition .
So for 90% of the time the wasted spark method is good. I might be able to stretch money wise to wasted COP. Depends on how much extra it is.
That's good with me, Hopefully someone will chime in ,maybe Mario him self and explain to me what I'm going to need to get my ignition up to date.

Thanks.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Crank-trigger ignition is like crack, once you try it you won't want to go back.

Megasquirt is arguably the cheapest route with the most effort to get it set up, kits like Mario's, SDS, CB, Electromotive, Weber Redline, etc. cost more but have more dedicated support. What is your budget, fab. skills, etc.?

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=114309
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Hi Jade.
budget wise I can do a thousand uk pounds on it. I'd want to link fuel injection into it at some stage. I can do fab work and no people who are in the fab business too .
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

That's about ~$700US? It would be get a MS unit then, a 3.57 and focus on doing the ignition conversion first then the fuel later on.

I just did a Megajolt ignition conversion on a friend's Vanagon (T3 bus) and it cost him about $600. I did all the brackets, wiring, etc. and we used Ford EDIS wasted spark components.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Can I ask, What's the vanagon like now the conversion has been done, Was it money well spent.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Jadewombat wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:22 am That's about ~$700US? It would be get a MS unit then, a 3.57 and focus on doing the ignition conversion first then the fuel later on.

I just did a Megajolt ignition conversion on a friend's Vanagon (T3 bus) and it cost him about $600. I did all the brackets, wiring, etc. and we used Ford EDIS wasted spark components.

£1000 is just over 1200 dollars at the min, was more a few months ago :(
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

I ran my 1200 ignition only using mega squirt for a long time and it was amazing! Picked up a lot of mpg!

Mega squirt doesn’t need to know if you don’t have injectors nor does it care
Just only tune the ignition map and your golden.

Then once you go injection too you simply plug in your injectors and tune that map too.....

That’s the short version of it but that’s how I did it.
GARRICK.CLARK

Post by GARRICK.CLARK »

Ok thanks Andy , So its worth it then. I'm at work today doing work stuff and all I can think of is an image of my motor with a coil on the end of each plug. Would work well to as I'm type 4 and have lots of space to fit them. BUT. How much would a system like that be. Does Mario do these kits/ I'll email him but just asking you guys too.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Sorry, i went the wrong way with the exchange rate.