Kadron Spacers?

gearheadgreg

Kadron Spacers?

Post by gearheadgreg »

I have decided to build a mild 2095cc Type 1 for a 1971 Bus that will be sold when done (hence not doing all the little and extra cost stuff for a 'keeper' engine).

Instead of IDF 40s, I think Kadron 40s would be a good compromise and not scare people that aren't familiar with them. However, just like a tunnel ram on a V8 that can benefit from a larger plenum 'reserve' to pull from, I wonder if using 1/2" or 1" spacers under the carbs on top of the manifolds would make a appreciable difference being that 2 cylinders are pulling from one carb?

I would think it would be a circle track experiment from someone.
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
Piledriver

Re: Kadron Spacers?

Post by Piledriver »

IIRC Marc strongly recommended that sort of setup in one thread as a (the only?) proven way to eliminate the typical Kad 2 cylinder idle syndrome.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I don't know anything about new vehicles like bays, but you run out of room quickly in the vertical (cargo floor). I would measure first before any heavy machining.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Vertical room would only be a concern on a Vanagon that only came with a pancake cooling setup or similar profile engine.
(They essentially laid the Vanagon diesels and 5 cylinders (in SA) ~on their sides to allow them to fit)

Bay Bus engine compartments were sized to take Bug cooling systems on 1600 DPs as an optional engine (everywhere but USA).
68-71 bays had upright cooling on bug engines(with different universal block) on all of them.

You can stand a Chevy or Ford straight six upright in a Bay engine compartment.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Thanks - that's what I was kinda thinking. Room shouldn't be a problem, and the spacers are simple machining, I'm actually more worried about the linkage at this point.

The article in Hot VWs dynoing the different filter/velocity stack setups seems to be just what I need.

Now, where to put those IDFs.... :D
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
aircooledtechguy

Post by aircooledtechguy »

Yeah, the linkage will pose issues since the rods would need to basically go through the alt on the right side and both fresh air hoses on either side.

Bowed linkage rod??