Best linkage for IDAs...?

ecksrash

Best linkage for IDAs...?

Post by ecksrash »

I'm currently running the CSP linkage for a type 1 with IDAs. I like it, but have had more trouble getting the carbs perfectly synched than I thought I'd have. I'm curious to know what else is out there. This is for a car with all (ALL) the cooling tin. Thanks for the input.
Marc

Re: Best linkage for IDAs...?

Post by Marc »

I've always preferred the Gene Berg linkage for full-fanshroud engines. It's extremely versatile and can be adapted to nearly anything, if you need custom downlinks they're simple to make from hardware-store barstock, and since it pushes down on the levers (rather than pushing/pulling horizontally) it's immune to synchronization problems caused by engine "growth" as it warms.
The shroud's gotta provide three attachment points and be locked down solid, so it can have issues with non-stock fan housing setups.
One criticism is that the swivels are all RH thread, so adjustments can only be made in full-turn increments (I consider the lack of LH-thread parts a plus, personally - RH taps/dies are far easier to find if modifications are needed). I've never found this to be a problem when mechanically synchronizing - all it takes to overcome is to loosen the shroud and reposition it ever-so-slightly.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Berg is clunky looking and gets in way but it just works and stays where you set it. It also has the best pedal feel from closed to open. I've ran CSP center pull, Berg fan mount, CB hex, Redline hex, etc.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

In a fully tinned shroud I also like the Berg linkage, sure it looks like a hardware store barfed zinc all over it but it work and well for a long time.
Yeah some may call it overkill, but you can't have too much overkill.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Slowtwitch makes a Synclink for IDAs.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I have not seen a synclink with fresh air shroud, or IDAs. I doubt the reversed clocking of an IDAs is an issue, but the bracket would still need to be where the shroud all ready is.

If I am wrong, deep link please
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Didn't see a picture, assumed with IDAs he'd have a 36hp profile shroud for access.
A 36hp shroud setup will still be "all the cooling tin" if its all there as it must be so you don't cook your heads.
I would assume it had a working thermostat/flaps too if the engine is meant to last.

I'm pretty sure that Slowtwitch would be amenable to making shroud mount hardpoints/cable mounts for full size shrouds. The pulley/cable setup doesn't actually require the nice mount brackets he uses, which is what gets in the way. Would lose a bit of the rigidity the system is known for, but should be no real problem.

(He has been looking for a solution for that for awhile, that one is obvious)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Marc

Post by Marc »

sideshow wrote:In a fully tinned shroud I also like the Berg linkage, sure it looks like a hardware store barfed zinc all over it but it work and well for a long time.
Currently it comes in silver or black wrinkle finish, or an extra $45 you can get it in stainless/chrome.... or just powder-coat it to the finish color of your choice. It's still a bit crude-looking - I suspect the first prototype was made from a chunk of bedframe ;) but beauty is as beauty does.
ecksrash

Post by ecksrash »

For clarification, I'm running a thing fan shroud.
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

A thing shroud is fresh air shaped, but lacks the outlets. Again, I have never seen a synchlink used on anything that wide.