CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

bowen71

CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

Post by bowen71 »

So I was wondering what you guys think about this fuel injection system. I think it would work good for my 2110. And maybe better MPG's now that I drive the car 90+ a day.

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1665
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

overpriced. not as powerful (flexible)as other systems in its price range. if you want a system that is all laid out and basically 'bolt on' than i have to say it is complete.
1vwspeedshop

Post by 1vwspeedshop »

SUbuggy wrote:overpriced. not as powerful (flexible)as other systems in its price range. if you want a system that is all laid out and basically 'bolt on' than i have to say it is complete.
I would not consider the system overpriced. I own a shop and their retail and dealer cost isn't bad for a complete kit. I have installed five systems so far and I am very impressed with how easy they are to tune. In fact, all I do is put in my target air fuel ratio's and they pretty much tune themselves. So far I have done 2 fuel only and 3 with fuel and spark. Two of my customers had me remove their previous ECU's one being a Redline and the other a EMS. Both customers had trouble tuning these. One of these customers called me back pretty darn happy and impressed after I installed the quicktune ecu. Just my opinion but I will continue to use a product that makes my customers happy and keeps them out of my shop after an install.
Steven Johnson
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

This touches on a subject I quit ranting on long ago. I would not consider an injection system "powerful"...simply because of the sheer range of options, input/outputs and computing power. Most especially since all the adjustability in the world cannot make up for poorly designed or cobbled together manifolds, poor injector placement and manifold sizing or for fuel delivery to the system.

I say this simply because, just watching the progress of a large number of people using aftermarket programmable systems......systems with much more ...."power" and versatility....... than most stock systems, there are actually a huge number of people still tweaking a year later and just as many more who get happy with what they have but never seem to achieve the smoothness or efficiency of the stock systems.

A large portion of this....I perceive....is poor combination planning of the engine for the use of injection.....and is not really related to how versatile teh EFI system is. Its all in teh combo.
That combo includes (most importantly)....cam, intake design and volumes, heads and exhaust....long before you start running and tuning the EFI system. Ray
volkaholic1

Post by volkaholic1 »

I just bought the system a couple of weeks ago. I got the fuel & ignition option, it will be going on by 2 liter type IV engine in my 68 bug. I choose this kit due to the superior lap top programming over CB's old knob system & it is significatnly less expensive than Redline. I will start installing it Sunday. I will find out if I should have spent the extra bucks, or has CB finally built a modern system.

I will be updating it here:
http://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/clarks_bug.html
Redline Weber

Johnsons Bug Machine

Post by Redline Weber »

Hi Steven, I want to ask:

The name of your shop, "Johnsons Bug Machine" in San Diego.

Would this information be correct ?
86svo

Post by 86svo »

Steve,it sounds like your customers are lacking skills to tune,not the ecu fault.Did you do any tuneing of the CB system,did you "try" to tune the other ecu's?I see this all the time,someone buys a system thats over their head,bolts it on and can't tune it and then they blame the ecu for the car not running right,they take the system off,then they buy a other one and have it installed and tuned and all of a sudden its the best ecu ever!

PLEASE remember any aftermarket ecu is only as good as the person tuneing it.

Tim
Last edited by 86svo on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
86svo

Post by 86svo »

Double post!

Tim
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

86svo wrote:Steve,it sounds like your customers are lacking skills to tune,not the ecu fault.Did you do any tuneing of the CB system,did you "try" to tune the other ecu's?I see this all the time,someone buys a system thats over their head,bolts it on and can't tune it and then they blame the ecu for the car not running right,they take the system off,then they buy a other one and have it installed and tuned and all of a sudden its the best ecu ever!

PLEASE remember any aftermarket ecu is only as good as the person tuneing it.

Tim
Tim from Wadesboro...which efi systems do you have experience with? I have an Autronic ems still in the box but i'm leaning towards SDS for it's simplicity for my efi/turbo 2332 this summer.
86svo

Post by 86svo »

Big Stuff 3,and F.A.S.T..I recently sold the FAST system and bought the BS3 system for my svo mustang.I had the fast system since 2000,had it on a few of my cars.My BS3 is coil on plug and staged injection.

I bought a Redline ecu for my wifes vw,she says it more mine than hers.lol

I have been around a few different way to tune from piggyback chips to J3 adapters,but I really like full standalones.In my experience just about any aftermarket ecu can run any engine just as well as a factory ecu and allow you to tune for power and or efficiency or changes in hardware such as heads or cams,superchargers or turbos.BUT the kicker is the tuner....can make or break the car in the owners eyes.

A little story to prove a point.

I have some "friends" that pulled off a BS3 system off their mustang that came with just a "start up tune"(meaning that the system was never tuned to their car/combo...just a safe tune to get the car running)that happened to be able to make the car run in the high 8s in the quarter mile...a 170 inch motor.

Well another ecu manufacture happened to "woo" them into removing their BS3 and replacing it with a EMS PRO,its a factory assembled mega squirt,and then sent one of EMS PRO's tuner install it and tune the car.
Well the car picked up a few tenths in the quarter,the BS3 is just as good as the EMS PRO,but it was never tuned to the car.So people see that and think that the BS3 is junk,while the EMS PRO is the sole reason the car picked up.....it was not it was the difference in being tuned and not being tuned.

Thats what my point was about,I don't think that the CB system is any better or worse than Redlines ecu,but a lot of info was left out like was a competent tuner given a shot at making it work with the ecu before the CB system was put on?We don't know and from the sound of it we will never know the full story...just that one or two ecu was junk and CBs system saved the day.I hope the you guys see my point.

One of the better mega squirt tuners around is a friend of mine and lives here in Charlotte.I don't want anyone to think that I some great tuner,I'm not at all,I just have a basic understanding of what my engine wants and some common sense and I work from there.To add to that I plan on flying one of the better tuner in the us to tune my svo this summer,I'm hoping for 1100 plus from my 170 inch motor.

Tim
Redline Weber

Steven Johnson ?

Post by Redline Weber »

I would like to know the name of the shop that Steven Johnson owns.

I find it "strange" the he has installed FIVE systems with this extremely new product, though not impossibly.

I would like to speak with the person that removed the Redline system, to find the reason for his problem.
Derrick from NC

Post by Derrick from NC »

Tim from Wadesboro,
Is the MegaQuirt tuner in Charlotte dealer/tuner? The cost of my Autronic SMC approx $1800.....perhaps he might consider some kind of trade for a megaquirt unit/complete harness and tuning expertist.
SUbuggy

Post by SUbuggy »

The cost of my Autronic SMC approx $1800.....perhaps he might consider some kind of trade for a megaquirt unit/complete harness and tuning expertist.
I would be interested in buying you SMC. 1800 for a SMC w/ billet case is below dealer cost after currency exchange. what version chip do you have, is it the billet case, is it 'new' in the box w/ harness?
alsehendo

Post by alsehendo »

I'm confused no price @ CB for this newer EFI system--I followed the link above.

How much is it and can you get them yet?
68turbofastback

Post by 68turbofastback »

Yes you can get them, just call and ask for Pat. The price is based on what you want. I have the new system.