Re: CB Performance Quick Tune EFI System

Post by Bus Boy Jim »

That's funny I was offered a megasquirt too
The owner of that swapped out for an Omex 600
orb

Post by orb »

Hi Guys
Just thought I'd give you a quick update.
I have 1500 miles on the engine now and it just gets better with every mile.

It's not perfect yet but I reckon it's 95% there and without any tuning I think that's pretty good.
I still have the "just off Idle/tip in" issue but it is getting much better the more I drive it and it still bogs if you blip the throttle (not sure that'll ever get cured).

On the plus side I'm getting double the mileage I was before, throttle response is great, it'll pull from 1500rpm in 3rd right through to 7000rpm with no hesitation whatsoever, it runs nice and cool (there may be a few other factors that have helped that).

All in all I am happy with the system, I think it'll be spot on once I can get the time to get it mapped properly.

First outing is Big Bang at Santa Pod on May 8-10th so we'll see what sort of times it runs on the strip, I'll let you know the results.

Orb
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

The tip in issue could be variation in the throttle body synchronization at the slight throttle angle just off idle. Take a side view of your engine and look at the angles of the down rods as you open the throttle. They can be synced perfect at idle, and be off a bit at 1/4 throttle. After half throttle it makes no difference in my experience. With 48mm TBs, they flow enough air after 50% opening to satisfy almost any engine around here. Meaning a slight opening difference after half throttle is hardly noticeable, where as it makes a huge difference on the bottom end.
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

Thanks for that advice Steve, I did think they could do with checking, don't think they're that far out but worth a look.

Orb
84 IM Flier

Post by 84 IM Flier »

My CB fuel injection kit also has a slight tip-in bog
Do you have any cold or hot starting problems? When the engine is cold I have to warm it up for 3 to 5 minutes before I can drive it. This also happens when the engine is hot and has been sitting for 30 to 60 minutes.
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

84 IM Flier wrote:My CB fuel injection kit also has a slight tip-in bog
Do you have any cold or hot starting problems? When the engine is cold I have to warm it up for 3 to 5 minutes before I can drive it. This also happens when the engine is hot and has been sitting for 30 to 60 minutes.

It always starts straight away cold but does like a couple of minutes to warm through before it runs perfectly, I think a mappin session will cure that though. Never really had an issue when it's warm.

I had it up the strip at Big Bang week before last and it ran like a dream. Got a new PB (15.52) which is what I was hoping for - happy days.

Orb
orb

Post by orb »

Just thought I'd give you another quick update.

Just keeps getting better and better - had a trip to Belgium recently (EBI4), cruising with friends at about 60mph and got 31mpg!!! - that's nearly double what I was getting out of my 44 webers - at this rate it'll be paid for pretty quick (don't forget we are paying nearly 10 dollars per gallon over here!) - lets also not forget that this a 2332 making north of 180bhp

Just heard that they nearly have their crank trigger set up ready which is backwardly compatible - should be interesting...

Orb
Frallan

Post by Frallan »

Excellent! Thanks for update.
Thumbs up!
huffypilot

Post by huffypilot »

Hi Orb
Any updates on your injection build. I am watching , dreaming of taking an FI conversion on myself soon.
Orb666

Post by Orb666 »

huffypilot wrote:Hi Orb
Any updates on your injection build. I am watching , dreaming of taking an FI conversion on myself soon.
Everything's great, tweaked the cold start map and leaned it out a bit and it's much better, don't have to wait so long before driving off.
Apart from that it just does what its supposed to.
Don't regret it one bit, looking forward to bolting a turbo on it :wink:

Orb
vwjim

Post by vwjim »

Anyone know what the injector seals are from that come with the CB kits? I've got to replace a few that were damaged during installation by PO of the engine that I'm installing. Would like to source them locally rather than import just a few seals from the US.

Thanks.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

2-206 orings in Viton may work assuming the CB setup takes std injectors/seals.
Even the Buna-N versions from any FLAPS should last awhile.

The fat green Bosch "CIS" injector top orings may also be a good choice if you need more squish.
You should be able to get those anywhere in Europe/UK.

Ray Greenwood suggested those years ago as a replacement for the factory seals and they work MUCH better.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
vwjim

Post by vwjim »

Thanks. That should help a lot.

Motor stockists over here are more and more changing their systems over to only asking for a licence plate number to get all the parts for a car, so when you're looking for an injector o-ring, even if they do stock them, they can't / won't sell you one unless you tell them what the car is it is going on. Very frustrating when its such a simple part.

Cheers.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

They are standard 14mm "Bosch" type o-rings. Use plenty of silicone spray lube as you install. They fit super tight.
Steve