mexi efi

tylers_59

mexi efi

Post by tylers_59 »

i have been on the fence about doing efi for a long time. It was different, cool, and the benefits are killer. But i was wondering, if i bought a used mexi kit from the samba, what does it take to convert to megasquirt? any throttle body mods i need? I have considered running micro squirt as well, just because of the small foot print and surface mounted electronics. But the price Is a bit steeper. And the options are overwhelming. Mario has his basic kit for 1600, which is cheaper then anything i have seen besides piecing it and doing all the legwork yourself, how ever on my small budge it will take me a very long time to save and purchase. I have seen a used kit with everything from a beetle on the samba from time to time from an antonio, and it seems to have everything i would need besides a MS kit and wiring... Is that a viable option too? at 299 it seems to good to be true. The engine is gonna be going from a stock 1500 s/p to a 1600 dual port with steve tims super stock heads and i plan on running distributor based ignition.
helowrench

Re: mexi efi

Post by helowrench »

Mario voletta has absolutely everything you need.
he should be along shortly.
tylers_59

Post by tylers_59 »

I spoke with him yesterday, and he was really kick ass! i plan on buying from him. seemed like a stand up guy which we need more of in the hobby. just making sure before i plop down 3 paychecks! or maybe buying it in pieces. Is there a disadvantage to having to use high impedance injector with micro squirt vs low impedance? It seems like high impedance is pretty standard.
trbugman

Post by trbugman »

tylers_59 wrote:I spoke with him yesterday, and he was really kick ass! i plan on buying from him. seemed like a stand up guy which we need more of in the hobby. just making sure before i plop down 3 paychecks! or maybe buying it in pieces. Is there a disadvantage to having to use high impedance injector with micro squirt vs low impedance? It seems like high impedance is pretty standard.
It is worth every penny to go through Mario just for the beautiful wiring loom he makes, it is an absolute joy to work with.

High impedance injectors are the way to go. Low impedance injectors are old tech for when high impedance injectors were too slow for good resolution.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Back before Mario was going full bore, i went with Antonio. He was honest and good to deal with. What you see is what you get. Highly recommend Mario. He is always super helpful to me. A great guy, and super MS savvy.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

I'm gonna ask a simple question. Will a mexi TB and end castings (the one Mario sells) be able to handle a 1776 w/turbo? I have a non-counter weighted crank, so it wont rev over 5k. Also, stock heads.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

kangaboy wrote:I'm gonna ask a simple question. Will a mexi TB and end castings (the one Mario sells) be able to handle a 1776 w/turbo? I have a non-counter weighted crank, so it wont rev over 5k. Also, stock heads.
It will work fine 1776 is not that big of a jump'
If it was a 1914 it could be argued.

For the sake of your crankcase, I strongly encourage you to get a counterweighted stock crank from DPR or somebody.
Cranks are cheap... cases and machining not so much.

Even if you really keep it under 5500 it will still help a lot.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

And stock heads, stock Mexi TB and endcastings are ok with 10psi of boost? Is there a weak link to the setup that may require an upgrade?
I asked Mario this, and I think he may have misinterpreted what I said, but he suggested CBP end castings.
Pile, you stated that the Mexi set up would work fine, and I would like to go that route, so I can just make the one purchase and get all the intake items in one purchase.
Sorry for what seems like the same question more than once, I just want to follow the ol' "Measure Twice, Cut Once" motto.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

There have been several turbo builds here using the mexi intakes...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

The stock intake end end castings are definitely the restrictors in the system. That said, they should work just fine for a low boost small displacement motor. The stock rubber boots hold very tight, but should still probably get clamps installed on each runner if you plan to go over 8psi. I ran the Mexi intake 6 years ago, NA and boosted. It drove very nice, and had my components been matched a little better it probably would have been a lot quicker than it actually was.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Chip, are you talking internal (heads, crank, pistons) or bolt ons (intake, end castings, header)?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Both, motor was borderline on the large side for the Mexican intake, heads were too big, header was garbage, turbo poorly matched. Sweep the floor/swap meet score parts used for a lot of it. Good learning experience for a newly wed student. I drove it like that for a year before I changed everything. The only things still in the car from that combo are the case and cylinder tins.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

Another option is to buy the CBP FI intakes and then just build your own center section.
You can use a stock German FI TB or find one that suits you.
Some of the 90's Volvo TB's are excellent for FI Use.
Mine is working out pretty good and it is nothing fancy.
I just used some exhaust tubing the same outside diameter as the CBP intakes plus cleaned up the insides of the CB inlets.
I'm just about done installing some big valve heads so we will se if it will flow enough to keep up with that....
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Im just going to go with the Mexi intake system. Just for ease of setup and this being my first FI system. If i can stick a small turbo on it and get around 120hp and smooth drivability from my little 1776, then I'll be happy.
kangaboy

Post by kangaboy »

Will the Mexi end castings accept modern sized injectors with out modification? And as far as fuel rails, would the best option be to get some from Mario?