Cragrobbo

Jadewombat

Cragrobbo

Post by Jadewombat »

Copied from the sticky, please post individual topics here.

>>Hello, I have read through all of this and there is a lot more to injection than I initially thought.

Its somewhat baffled me but I am starting to understand the basics.

I am getting a Type 4 engine, which will be around 2.9 Liter in a couple of months(deposit is down) and I was going to Carb it, but the cost of BIG carbs is mental.

I was looking to run around a 130 cam on it, What would be the most ideal injection system for me, that will be cost effective?

Craig<<

Either a MAP or hot-wire based system. How much time do you have, how resourceful and patient are you, and and what is your budget?
Cragrobbo

Re: Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

Thank you very much for that, I appreciate your help.

Time isn't an issue, I have the motor as a spare and my car is running fine so give me time to play.

I would like to think I can be quite resourceful although I am still int he early learning stages but I am a quick learner.

Unfortunately budget is the hard one - As low as possible, this engine only happened out of chance and hasn't cost me much so want to keep it to a minimum ideally

Craig
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Then you really only have one choice, though 'as low as possible' is a relative thing. What's cheap for you may be extravagant to me, that said Megasquirt is going to be the least expensive route.
Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

miniman82 wrote:Then you really only have one choice, though 'as low as possible' is a relative thing. What's cheap for you may be extravagant to me, that said Megasquirt is going to be the least expensive route.
Thanks for the input, A friend of mine said the best Idea is goto a breakers yard and get the TBI and all related components including the lambda sensor from somthing like a focus RS or similar big 4 cylinder car and use Megasquirt to control and adapt it all.

Craig
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I'm going to assume that you're in the UK, since we have junkyards on this side not breakers yards. That being the case, there are Megasquirt people over there as far as vendors but the price is still more than we pay here I'm pretty sure. Hardware yes, you can get much of that from a junkyard. I would caution you to get new injectors though, I used junkyard ones and they ended up burning out my ECU after some time because one of them developed a short.
Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

miniman82 wrote:I'm going to assume that you're in the UK, since we have junkyards on this side not breakers yards. That being the case, there are Megasquirt people over there as far as vendors but the price is still more than we pay here I'm pretty sure. Hardware yes, you can get much of that from a junkyard. I would caution you to get new injectors though, I used junkyard ones and they ended up burning out my ECU after some time because one of them developed a short.
Thanks, Yeah I am in the UK.

I would likley use new injectors any way as I have a big engine I want to use the correct ones.

Do you have any recommendations as to what is the best combination of parts, I did read through the whole stiky but didnt go into depth as to which part comparability is best?

Craig
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Just the normal stuff really, 044 fuel pump, correctly sized injectors, decent pressure regulator. FWIW, the injection system doesn't care what HP your make, so long as the feed is capable of supplying the engine's demands for fuel. Don't go overboard on injectors sizing, you can make the mistake of having too much fuel at idle.
Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

miniman82 wrote:Just the normal stuff really, 044 fuel pump, correctly sized injectors, decent pressure regulator. FWIW, the injection system doesn't care what HP your make, so long as the feed is capable of supplying the engine's demands for fuel. Don't go overboard on injectors sizing, you can make the mistake of having too much fuel at idle.
Thanks again for the reply.

Are there any lists or examples i could work from directly to help me make a compatible system?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I don't have one but you really can't go wrong if you take parts from similarly sized engines or engines near the same power output, problem is you can't test anything before you buy it at the junkyard.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

044 Bosch pump is a roller cell, it needs a feed pump/sump setup.

It's as good as it gets--- properly set up.

The Walbro and Fordish gerotor pumps are far more forgiving.

What heads did you order?
(Intake port flow estimate? RPM range//usage? Helps to know that to set TB size.)
You can get 2x 2bbl TBI setups and just use them for TBs.

You won't want to use the huge+slow low pressure injectors they contain in an ITB setup.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Just run it through an injector calculator, there's a lot of them out there:

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

Then you get an idea of the cc/min. you'll need, then you can cross-reference a Bosch type injector with the car model and know what to look for in the junkyard or on the ebays, etc.
Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

Thanks again, reading on here itb seems a good choice and looking at another thread using vfr800 itb.

I was wondering, it looks like they don't have a maf or map sensor, I'm confused if they do where is it placed?

Thanks in advance

Craig
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

You plumb a line below each butterfly, and run the lines to an accumulator.
Cragrobbo

Post by Cragrobbo »

Thanks again,

So accumulator in place of a maf or map?

I am insure what the accumulator is or its workings sorry
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

The accumulator averages the pulsating signal from the individual runners before sending it to the map sensor, making a smooth signal that doesn't jump around as much. Some people use a simple fuel filter and run all the lines from the runners into one side, other side goes to the sensor.