couple of questions.

Hegel

couple of questions.

Post by Hegel »

I'm getting ready to do my Subaru to ghia merger and I've been looking at fuel setups recently. I bought a fuel pump already. and the Subaru has a fpr on it so those I've got covered.

1) what are people using for fuel line? I've thought about using rubber line from the front to the back but that could get very expensive at $6.99 a foot. Steel line is less expensive for sure, what is the thoughts on using nylon fuel line? A lot of oem makers are using nylon these days and 5/16 nylon line is extremely affordable. what i would want to do is use 3-4 inches of standard efi line at both ends of the nylon or steel line so that filter changes and connecting and disconnecting from the pump would be easier and then using the nylon or steel line to run the length of the car.

2) the fuel pump I bought has 1/2 inlet and threaded outlet. I have a barbed 5/16 fitting for the outlet so that's what i would like to use. on the inlet though I was wondering if maybe a swirl pot or some kind of expansion tank to feed it would be best something that would allow the pump to pull right from the 1/2 inlet instead of me having to neck it down. then i could have the stock outlet on the tank feed the expansion tank.

3) for a return line. are most people running straight back to the tank or are they t-ing into the supply line prior to the pump? could I run the return to the expansion tank mentioned in question 2?

Sorry if these questions are obvious but I would rather ask a foolish question and be told off than make that mistake because I assumed something. I relent to your experience to guide me and save me from making a common mistake..

thanks,
Steve
Jadewombat

Re: couple of questions.

Post by Jadewombat »

Go here if you haven't already, check some of the stickies near the top and then repost your question there if you don't find the answer.

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewforum.php?f=19

Most of this forum is fuel injection modifications to VW flat A-C motors.
Hegel

Post by Hegel »

will do. I just figured efi conversion would be mostly the same for any acvw platform regardless of engine. that's why I posted here.

thanks,
Steve
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Gotcha. Yeah, not sure what the needs of a Subaru powerplant would be though other than guys who've done similar setups with big displacement T4s could chime in here. The setup you describe has been covered a lot here though.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=114309&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=146236
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

You can use steel line and get one of those cheap tubing benders to shape it any way you want.
I used 5/16ths line and wrapped some wiring harness spiral wrap around it to protect it in the tunnel.

I used the stock line for a return. You can do it that way or bump up your line size if you plan on going big hp.

I just used FI hose slipped over the steel lines and clamped with FI hose clamp.

No leaks in three years and 10,000 plus miles.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Go hardline, I spent over $300 on the fancy braided stuff with AN fittings when I could have done the same exact thing for $15 with steel hardlines. But hey, it's pretty... :x