Reasonable start table setup?

falcor

Reasonable start table setup?

Post by falcor »

So these are the startup table for my 2276 type 4.

It starts and idles ok once warm (with idle timing enabled), but I do have to give some throttle for it to start.
Just want to share the tables and see if anyone spots anything that I should change. I've only been in the idle and low load area up to about 3k so far since the car is still on jackstands.

http://matsgarage.com/wp-content/upload ... -01-24.jpg

Still just links since the forum wont display images wider than 800 pixels...(still living in 2005) :roll:
Piledriver

Re: Reasonable start table setup?

Post by Piledriver »

I know nothing of your ECU, does it have a warmup enrichment, separate idle timing/fuel tables, temp/IAC tables, closed loop idle control etc?
...or do you have to do everything in the main VE/timing tables? It must at least have cranking fuel/timing and WUE...

If it has a separate idle mode/tables/features use them if at all possible, doing it in the main tables will not works quite as well...

Extra cold timing can also help a lot if available.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
falcor

Post by falcor »

It does have WUE tables, cranking fuel etc but no separate idle timing/fuel from what I can remember without having my laptop with me...

I'll post all the setup screens when I get home tonight.

The Mtune program is free to download here if you want to poke around in it.
http://www.maxxecu.com/downloads
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You might be best off hitting the user forums for the ECU, as I suspect you are the only MAXXECU user here, and the extensive FI/MS experience here will only translate in very general terms.

Most of us running EFI are running speed-density on MS2-extra or MS3, with one or two running MS1E , SDS, CB or Redline systems. I still have a CIS system in use, and Ray Greenwood likes his DJet.

Based on the features I see, the MS1 guys would be the closest feature wise. and may have some tricks that will helpp with the idle etc off the main VE table.

Using Speed-density you want a flat area in the idle range with ~constant fuel and timing numbers, but as it looks like you are running alpha-N ... timing only in your case as the TPS would be ~zero at idle.
Not sure how or if it could compensate for extra air from a IAC without a MAP or MAF sensor or a separate idle fuel adder table based on IAC% and RPM.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
falcor

Post by falcor »

Well there are no specific Maxxecu forums and even if there was I'm probably the only one using it on an aircooled engine so any help would be marginal. I can make the Maxxecu work but what I'm after is really the more general type4/aircooled info. In hindsight I would have been better of buying an MS from Mario but I'm kinda stuck with what I have now.

As for settings this is what I've got.
1.JPG
Cranking fuel, WUE, ASE
2.JPG
Fuel IAT trim
3.JPG
Acceleration enrichment
4.JPG
Timing IAT and CLT correction
5.JPG
Ignition idle control

I also have 3 fuel and 3 ignition tables that I can set up according to this screen.
6.JPG
The ECU's got a built in MAP sensor but I've opted to go Alpha-N because of the low vacuum situation when using ITB's. Again I'm only after the very basic type4/aircooled info as I cant find anyone local to me that seems to have that experience.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Although my comment is not related to your start and idle issue, how conservative your ignition table is!
Regarding startup at cold, I know this problem from modern cars: if the temperature sensor was not working right (showing hot engine), there was not enough fuel to start and most of the times ended flooding the engine cranking too much. Maybe spark was also off. Usually our engines can handle a lot advance at idle, maybe also during cranking.
falcor

Post by falcor »

Yes well this is my starting point afterall, I've only had the engine idling around 10 minutes in total so far, still waiting for a replacement head temperature sensor to arrive before I can run it more.
falcor

Post by falcor »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoDbrSk-Dr0

New cht sensor is working fine. Bank 1 runs a bit hotter than bank 2 until the thermostat opens.