VFR Throttle Bodies AND Injectors?

gearheadgreg

VFR Throttle Bodies AND Injectors?

Post by gearheadgreg »

Hello - I searched, but since VFR is too short a word to search, didn't come up with much.

Anyway, I just bought (an awesome) VW 412 with a 2056 and SDS engine management. It is currently using a stock-based intake plenum, manifolds and throttle body (though with a lot of work to make them function with the SDS).

I would like to swap to ITBs, using IDF manfolds with the rubber boot adapters. I would also like to use the VFR injectors, which are high resistance. I'm having a hard time finding flow rates, but expect they have LOTS of headroom for a 115hp Type 4 - the bike made similar power and they usually have headroom for mods.

Because the VFR ITBs are popular, I was just wondering if anyone has used the injectors and their experience?
Dealer for Alloy Wheels & Period H4s and Fog/Driving Lights

http://www.greggearhead.com
andy198712

Re: VFR Throttle Bodies AND Injectors?

Post by andy198712 »

wether it helps or not but i use GSXR750 ITBs and the smaller of the two injectors(they have staged injection) and they work fine and safely within limits on my 2110cc
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Heh, at least it makes me feel better.

andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

And they had two sets of injectors, lower ones were small and uppers were huge, and I just used the small ones.... I reckon you’ll be fine :)
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

andy198712 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 am And they had two sets of injectors, lower ones were small and uppers were huge, and I just used the small ones.... I reckon you’ll be fine :)
You will still need to know the flow numbers of the injectors to set up your ECU parameters.

I have to tell MS what size the injectors are as far as CC's/min.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

I've found out they are 28lb/hr or 294cc/min. They are a little bigger than the 24lb/hr ones being used currently, so shouldn't be a night and day difference in tuning (I hope).

andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

Clonebug wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:08 am
andy198712 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:44 am And they had two sets of injectors, lower ones were small and uppers were huge, and I just used the small ones.... I reckon you’ll be fine :)
You will still need to know the flow numbers of the injectors to set up your ECU parameters.

I have to tell MS what size the injectors are as far as CC's/min.
yes very true, which "should" take out the retuning aspect for you...... or at least be close
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

gearheadgreg wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:28 am I've found out they are 28lb/hr or 294cc/min. They are a little bigger than the 24lb/hr ones being used currently, so shouldn't be a night and day difference in tuning (I hope).
Probably good for about 180 hp on a 4 cylinder at 80% DC.
Maybe a little less with a turbo.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Clonebug wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 am Probably good for about 180 hp on a 4 cylinder at 80% DC.
That's what I found as well. For an engine rated at around 115hp, maybe another 5-10hp with the ITBs, that's plenty of headroom. Hopefully not too big as to make the idle iffy. Just make it sound like it has a big cam if it does! Heh.

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

gearheadgreg wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:42 am
Clonebug wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:20 am Probably good for about 180 hp on a 4 cylinder at 80% DC.
That's what I found as well. For an engine rated at around 115hp, maybe another 5-10hp with the ITBs, that's plenty of headroom. Hopefully not too big as to make the idle iffy. Just make it sound like it has a big cam if it does! Heh.
You should be fine......I run injectors that support 360 hp on my 1679cc engine and Chip has some super duper ID massive injectors on his without any idle or driving issues.
Get a set of injectors that will support the max hp you would ever hope to reach. That way you won't have to buy them twice.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

Yeah, I think it will be totally fine. The only plans I have for this engine are the ITBs and manifolds, so 180hp will be more than enough for ever.

TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Very good to know the flow rate! I wad looking for this info and never found it. Max Welton posted some time ago the flow rate of his injectors after cleaning, but i think pictures are lost and the test pressure was not specified. Msybe check his thread, and do a search by keyword vfr800, there were some more topics.
gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

I'm going to try and clean mine with solvent spraying through, then a bath in the ultrasonic. We'll see.

So now I've got the throttle bodies, the velocity stacks, manifolds, and I have lots of extra air cleaners around from various carbs and projects - I might try to make airboxes with air ducted to them. Also, since my neighbor is a bicycle brake engineer, I'll use his help to make a cable pull setup for the ITBs.

gearheadgreg

Post by gearheadgreg »

OK, long delayed update, but I'm going to have the car down doing some front suspension/fuel tank maintenance, so I will try to get this stuff taken care of as well.

SDS has a harness mod (resistor pack) to use these injectors, so I'll be getting that and a new controller (old one was stolen long ago) soon. My concern is normal manifolds are too tall so I might need shorty IDF manifolds.

chickensoup

Post by chickensoup »

When are you going to post some pics? Us forum people like pictures :D