fuel cell/tank

elrockk

fuel cell/tank

Post by elrockk »

hello all i Have a question what kind of fuel cells/tanks are you using for E85 turbo setups.most aluminium say not for E85 and ive read no plastic for E85 so im looking for what you guys/girls are useing thanks for any input
risk

Re: fuel cell/tank

Post by risk »

I use the stock tank with aeromotive stealth e85 pump installed from the top.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Stock steel tank here, treated with POR fuel tank sealer. In-tank pump with mine as well!
risk

Post by risk »

I wouldn't see a problem with plastic. What is this going in.. a stock beetle or race car of some sort?
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

for now its a stock 1600 but im gonna make a 1915 . i got flex fuel injectors a small garret turbo and just thinking a fuel cell be the easyist way to go with AN fittings . so you have no issues with the stock tank and E85? because then i would use the stock tank to feed the fuel cell and get my AN Inlets and outlets.is there a possibility the foam in these cells is not good with E85? thanks for the replies
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Why 2 tanks? Don't overcomplicate it. Weld some AN fitting on your existing tank and call it good. You can tap the outlet for 1/4 npt and then get an npt to AN adaptor and your golden. Weld a second bung on the bottom if you want. Or do an intank setup and run one or both fuel fitting right out of the top.
risk

Post by risk »

I have been running E85 for five years now and have not had any problems with the stock tank.

I started by welding an AN outlet on the tank, and using the stock outlet as my return with an external pump. I ran a big aeromotive pump and it was noisy. Now I have in-tank and love it. Very quiet and both the wiring and supply and return lines are on top.

If you want quick and easy, tap the tank outlet as chip said or CB sells a fuel tee that threads on the stock tank outlet.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6483.htm
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

do you have any pics of your tanks?
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

elrockk wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:23 pm do you have any pics of your tanks?
I tapped my tank for 1/4 NPT and put a brass tee on it with AN fittings to match my 1/4 inch return hose and AN-8 Pump feed hose.

These are brass nipples but I have upgraded them to push-loc swivel nipples on the hoses and AN-4 and AN-8 male fittings on the brass tee.

Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

yes that would be much simpler thanks
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

CB sell a billet version of that that just screws on to the outlet, was good for me as in UK NPT taps are hard to come by and ALOT more then in the US, but worth looking into....
risk

Post by risk »

Here is how I did my in-tank setup. The car used to have a gas heater so I just ran my fuel lines through the old holes for it.

tank1.jpg
This pic shows the foam and rubber base that goes down in the tank.
tank2.jpg

And the 100 micron filter below the tank:

filter.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elrockk

Post by elrockk »

thats a nice setup but its out of my price range right now. do you know of any/or how to get wires sealed leak proof into the tank for a in tank fuel pump
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

I did mine pretty cheap, I'll see if i can get some photos later today.
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

Modern factory fuel tanks are typically HDPE (high density polyethylene). That material has no problem with any fuel. It has very minor surface attack/drying from 95% ethanol....and would likely take several decades for cracking to start. UHMW (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) is even stronger but more expensive. Ethanol cant touch it.

HDPE is just fine for E-85. Ray