MS1-extra/EDIS conversion to MS-2

panel

MS1-extra/EDIS conversion to MS-2

Post by panel »

What's involved with the conversion of going from MS-1 with the extra code(to run EDIS) over to MS-2 non extra code(to start off with).

I remember doing some extra wiring to get my EDIS to run off one of my LED's I think.

Will I have to take this all off if I convert over?

I'm pretty sure that MS-2 has EDIS already as a function right? No *extra* feature needed right?
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Rich

Re: MS1-extra/EDIS conversion to MS-2

Post by Rich »

Its not a bad change. You may need to undo some hardware changes depending which version of the MS board you have.
MS2 will run EDIS as standard. IIRC it will also run spark from the LED with standard wiring but I'm going from memory.
Its a fairly easy swap and I like MS2 much better.
panel

Post by panel »

I think I have the V2.2 board. Do you have to undo the TIP 122 mod?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

You mean the flyback board? Only if you intend to only run low-z injectors. MS2 is not some magic upgrade like some believe it is, it's simply an upgraded processor nothing more.
panel

Post by panel »

miniman82 wrote:You mean the flyback board? Only if you intend to only run low-z injectors. MS2 is not some magic upgrade like some believe it is, it's simply an upgraded processor nothing more.
I've already got the flyback board installed when I first did the MS conversion I just wondered if I had to kind of put back or take off the TIP 122 conversion that I had to do to run the EDIS.
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Nevermind, the flyback board uses TIP125 darlingtons. I got confused. Where are you getting this TIP122 thing from???
Rich

Post by Rich »

panel wrote:
miniman82 wrote:You mean the flyback board? Only if you intend to only run low-z injectors. MS2 is not some magic upgrade like some believe it is, it's simply an upgraded processor nothing more.
I've already got the flyback board installed when I first did the MS conversion I just wondered if I had to kind of put back or take off the TIP 122 conversion that I had to do to run the EDIS.
I can't remember if I did a TIP122 change on mine (v2.2) What did you swap for this?

I can have a look what I've got but won't be at the workshop until tomorrow night. I'm pretty sure I reverted to standars then installed the MS2. I have made changes since then for other odds & sods though.
panel

Post by panel »

miniman82 wrote: I got confused. Where are you getting this TIP122 thing from???
I was thinking that the TIP 122 was for the EDIS. I was confused.........It was for my IAC valve. Will I have to change this back?

Also to make the V2.2 board do the EDIS conversion I think I had to do this:

Do I change this back to the original way also?
Rich

Post by Rich »

I am pretty sure my crank signal is like that. I certainly don't have D5 & R10 in place. I'll have a look tonight.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

panel wrote:
miniman82 wrote: I got confused. Where are you getting this TIP122 thing from???
I was thinking that the TIP 122 was for the EDIS. I was confused.........It was for my IAC valve. Will I have to change this back?

Also to make the V2.2 board do the EDIS conversion I think I had to do this:

Do I change this back to the original way also?
I doubt it. I run an idle valve with my MS2 it has nothing to do with the processor change as far as I know. Why are you swapping over to the 2? I'm not gonna try to talk you out of it or anything, just curious?
panel

Post by panel »

Chip.........I'm trying to solve this problem.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 90#p231790

No one seems to know why it does this. Lance from MS lives around 20min from my house from me and since I'm running the Extra code he can't help me out sometimes due to the program writing or code base or whatever it's called.

I thought going over to the MS2 might help him help me :wink:

The bus is off the road right now but I can still try to diagnose it before spring I hope.

Thanks for the idle valve help but do you think I need to change it back for the EDIS to work.....if I was to go to MS II ?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Makes sense, I don't think that you will have to do anything to the TIP122 in order to get the EDIS to work with MS2. When I very initially set my board up, I set it up to run the standard code, and EDIS, as well as an idle valve. I eventually switched to MS2extra because I wanted the ability to have a 2 step launch control rev limiter. Then when I found out that EDIS won't do spark cut, I ditched the module and bought the coil driver kits and directly drove the EDIS coil with the MS, minus the EDIS-4 module. So now I have all the advantages of the EDIS distributerless ignition, without the added hardware, and a true anti-lag launch control system, not to mention an idle valve too. I honestly don't know to much about the whole EDIS wiring(or v2.2 for that matter) thing as I did things a little bit out of the box. I'd recommend my route though. Good luck with whatever you decide. It would be hard to ignore the presence of Lance if he lived so close though.
panel

Post by panel »

Chip Birks wrote: I ditched the module and bought the coil driver kits and directly drove the EDIS coil with the MS, minus the EDIS-4 module. So now I have all the advantages of the EDIS distributerless ignition, without the added hardware,
Where can I read/learn more on this.

Can MS-I do this?
miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

panel wrote:
Chip Birks wrote: I ditched the module and bought the coil driver kits and directly drove the EDIS coil with the MS, minus the EDIS-4 module. So now I have all the advantages of the EDIS distributerless ignition, without the added hardware,
Where can I read/learn more on this.

Can MS-I do this?
I have done the mods on both MS1 and MS2 board to do it. Its not actually very hard. You just need to buy the coil drivers here http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bosc ... 5a26ccb3d0 you'd have to buy two of them. They install pretty easily. The setup is a little brain fart causing. It's a little tougher than MS2. Eallred has his setup this way. I did the hardware mods to his board. He has MS1. It all works great. You will have to stick with the Extra code.