T3 megasquirt II conversion

Max Welton

Re: T3 megasquirt II conversion

Post by Max Welton »

Over on the msextra forums, grom_e30 spotted a problem with battery voltage. I have verified that my bus voltage is indeed wandering about and not well controlled. No good can come from that. All the connections at the VR and also at the generator seem solid. I'll throw a new regulator at it tomorrow.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 75#p377206

Most of the analog-to-digital converters I'm familiar with require a reference voltage. If the reference is off, so are all the digital representations of the original analog values. That might explain the MAP excursion you noticed.

As far as using rising edge capture, I actually was getting the double-tooth signature shown in one of tooth-log examples. I reversed the wires on my VR sensor and it cleaned right up. I will try it the other way around, but the trigger capture settings I'm using are stable and I've verified with a timing light that the actual timing agrees with commanded spark advance on TS. That is also how I arrived at the 182° trigger angle while I was running just the single coil.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 75#p376357

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

OK, replaced the voltage regulator. Actual voltage now does not exceed 14.5 volts. The TS dashboard gauge and the datalog read almost a full volt higher than what my volt-meter says.

It starts right up and runs well, but still only talks to TS for a short time before the previously posted dialog comes up. Now that I know the actual bus voltage isn't dangerously high I think I'll drive it to work tomorrow and see if will halt or just stop talking to TS on my laptop.

http://www.maxwelton2k.net/squareback68 ... .53.36.zip

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So I'm having a problem dropping sync while cranking or idling. Typically it will idle for a minute or two, then stumble. I can hear the fuel pump relay click but the ecu itself has not lost power. This has not happened any other time but while cranking or idling.

I finally caught this in a log. Look for the point at which Lost Sync Count increments. About time 2168.875 .

And on two occasions now it has failed to start. It cranks and the pump initially runs (the ecu has power), but with no sync it doesn't start.

Any ideas?

Tomorrow I am going to take a look at the VR sensor to make sure it isn't loose or anything.

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Here's one that happened while cranking.

Max
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Yesterday I found that one of the spade connectors I use for the VR was only 1/2 on. Today I've been logging every second of my daily drive and haven't dropped sync yet.

Fingers crossed.

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:Yesterday I found that one of the spade connectors I use for the VR was only 1/2 on. Today I've been logging every second of my daily drive and haven't dropped sync yet.

Fingers crossed.

Max
+++
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Still holding solid. And I haven't had a TS comm drop either.

<Arte Johnson>
Very Interesting.
</Arte Johnson>

Max
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

So the ECU is working just great. But I started having problems with the laptop I use in the car and have reinstalled Windows XP. Now I can't find a driver for the usb to serial cable. Any pointers?

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:So the ECU is working just great. But I started having problems with the laptop I use in the car and have reinstalled Windows XP. Now I can't find a driver for the usb to serial cable. Any pointers?

Max
Sure :twisted:
http://www.mageia.org/en/

I'm not really being an ass, it works awesome, particularly on older hardware.
XP is done with updates in what, 2 months?
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

I have not kept up with the Linux varients for a few years. There certainly seem to a lot of different distributions. I do remember struggling to find drivers for video cards and wireless NICs ...

But this computer just needs to be my TS host in the car. And it is one driver away from being back in service.

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Max Welton wrote:I have not kept up with the Linux varients for a few years. There certainly seem to a lot of different distributions. I do remember struggling to find drivers for video cards and wireless NICs ...

But this computer just needs to be my TS host in the car. And it is one driver away from being back in service.

Max
Linux distros are for the most part pretty much plug and play these days.
Generally far easier than Windows setup unless you have oddball hardware.

If you don't know that cable you have, boot off the Linux live cd and plug it in..
(the iso image can be dumped to a USB stick, much faster)

You can then find out exactly what it is by typing dmesg in a shell and reading a bit, or use the hardware info GUI tool.
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Finally got the pinion removal tool. Don't mind the mess.

Max
Corysvdub

Post by Corysvdub »

So Max are you going full sequential or just crank trigger?
Type 3 Subaru powered EJ25
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Not on this one. It's working pretty sweet the way it is. 8)

Max