Type 4 Megasquirt project, Now Tuning!

mlauzon

Re: Type 4 Megasquirt project, need help.

Post by mlauzon »

Ok, I jumped back into this project. I have so many questions that I don't know where to start.

A new thread with likely be started with my latest efforts. ANY and ALL comments appreciated.

For the moment, here goes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJfMZ9YgQc

Thanks,

Michel
Michel Lauzon
Working on a Type 4 Megasquirt Project
MarioVelotta

Post by MarioVelotta »

I can't watch the video now but get in touch if I can help with anything, glad your back on the project!
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Looks like you got a working setup right now and judging from how neat and organized your test rig is, I hae complete confidence your install will be good to go.
'65 notch w/ a squirted type 4
http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
'68 "Zombie Response Vehicle" Westy
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=140387
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

It looks like you could probably have it running this weekend :lol:

Many of your noise gremlins will likely go away once you get it installed and mounted on metal.
(assuming your alternator isn't noisy... many are, one of the reasons I swapped in a CS130D)

Keep the grounds and power lines as short and fat as possible.

I love your remote ign drivers packaging under the relay board, but try to run them to their own ground path, separate from the MS ECU run.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

Thanks for the replies. I work much too slowly to have it done this weekend. I enjoy the journey though.

I am posting some screenshots of my current basic setups along with my VR 36-1 trigger wheel with sensor (that is positioned) about 12 teeth away from missing tooth.

I can't remember where I got the information for the dwell and spark duration values. The default values were heating up the coils and BIP transistors.

All comments and advice is always welcome.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mlauzon on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michel Lauzon
CobraJet

Post by CobraJet »

Is that trigger wheel behind a stock T4 cooling fan? If so, where did you get it?
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

It came from http://www.originalcustoms.com/. Mark is the owner, very helfull.
Michel Lauzon
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

Can anyone comment on my settings? Any and all comment appreciated :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mlauzon on Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michel Lauzon
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Looks reasonable, but w/E10 fuel (all I can get), stoich is ~14.1-14.3:1, YMMV.

You don't have it running yet? :lol:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

Piledriver wrote: You don't have it running yet? :lol:
Of course not. I'm slow, but usually complete my projects. I still need to purchase an O2 sensor. I am thinking of the AEM one as I have some experience with it. Do I need a fast idle valve?

My main concern with the setups was Tooth #1 angle, and spark duration and dwell settings?
Michel Lauzon
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

I just realized the TDC of my tach wheel in slightly off from TDC. So my tooth # 1 timing will be more like 240 plus degrees. Will need to run the drill again!
Michel Lauzon
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You do realize you can install the MS setup, leaving the carbs and distributor in place and check/set your "timing" (and everything else) before ever squirting an injector in anger?

You can even log the "run" to verify the crank signal etc.

Based on your bench test rig, I'm quite serious in the contention that you could have easily had it running this past long weekend.
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

Piledriver wrote:You do realize you can install the MS setup, leaving the carbs and distributor in place and check/set your "timing" (and everything else) before ever squirting an injector in anger? You can even log the "run" to verify the crank signal etc.
Based on your bench test rig, I'm quite serious in the contention that you could have easily had it running this past long weekend.
Ok, I'm starting to get it now, so I will start to set things in motion in moving things over to the car. One of the big jobs that needs to happen is replacing fuel lines though the tunnel. Not looking forqard to that :? Should I install fuel pump under gas tank or by firewall near engine?
Michel Lauzon
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

mlauzon wrote: Should I install fuel pump under gas tank or by firewall near engine?

Yes.
:lol:

OK, I prefer a feeder/recirc sump setup, some pump types do not absolutely require them, but i have been running Bosch CIS pumps for ages, I have had two die in ~30 years, and both of those were old when I got 'em.
(Roller cell pumps ~require a feeder. Other types will IMHO work BETTER with a feeder, no air or vapor in pressure system)

I actually opened up the access hole for the fuel pump etc under the tank an inch or so on my 914 for much easier access for the filter and feeder, had it all stuffed in there foe awhile, but neither the car nor I was happy.

The upgraded vertical 3"x~12" long tube mini sump and main pump later resided out back, I had both up top where they were visible.
mlauzon

Post by mlauzon »

Ok, thanks. I will mount my 2225 fuel pump under the tank. That seems like the best location.
I ordered some SS steel fuel lines from Tangerine Racing, so it looks like we will be shifting to the car soon. I am really not looking forward to pulling the gas tank :?

I had some time this evening, so I decided to play with the Tooth #1 Angle in MS and my drill setup. Bottom line, is this adjustment should be very easy in the car. It is very flexible and it should be car to set it to TDC.
Michel Lauzon