MegaSquirt newbie (again) looking for Bay t4 install info

Steve Arndt

Re: MegaSquirt newbie (again) looking for Bay t4 install inf

Post by Steve Arndt »

Fuel cut on deceleration is also easier to tune with TPS included as a parameter.
type11969

Post by type11969 »

So I've been doing a bit of research and I'm going to stick with the v2.2 board since I already have it. I like the idea of the increased resolution of the MS2 - but if I'm upgrading the processor, it almost seems like you might as well jump to MS3 (direct USB connectivity instead of messing around with USB to serial adapters is pretty much worth the jump in price alone). One hesitation of MS3 - other than it almost seeming overkill as a replacement to ljet's analog ECU - is that the stack height of the two boards (v2.2 and the MS3 daughter card) may be too much to fit in the ljet ECU's stock housing. I want to use the stock housing to keep the install as clean as possible, I'll come up with a board mounting solution inside the stock box. Anyone have a stack height measurement? I found enclosure dimensions online but at least on my MS1 housing, there is a lot of wasted space on the board underside.

MS3X is also pretty tempting but that seems like it will make the stack height issue worse - and seems even more overkill. I do want to control spark too, however. Hmm. Anyone have a stack measurement including MS3X?

If the height doesn't work out, may just stick with MS1 - I'm sure it will still be a nice upgrade to ljet regardless.

Thanks,

Chris
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

About 2-5/8".

Max
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I bought a MS3 case for my MS2 setup at one point, and recommend it to anyone buying a MS 1/2 setup.
It costs ~$5 more than the std MS 1/2 case if you buy it instead of the std case.

I used an error* board and put a second db37 in it for connectivity.
(MS3+ms3x was not yet released, or I would have used the MS3X pinout)
you also get to make one custom box end as the serial and LED holes are slightly different on the v3 boards.

MS2-extra has many very nice features, (and continues to get backports from MS3 as long as code space allows) although given what the MS2 CPU goes for I'd probably spend the extra and go MS3.

I was hoping for something like a MS3 microsquirt at a reasonable price but the MS3 module costs ~as much as an MS3pro.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
type11969

Post by type11969 »

Max - According to my notes, the MS3 case is 2.6" high. I'm guessing the number you quoted above is the outside case dimension. I am wondering how tall the stack is from the underside of the megasquirt board (either v2.2 or v3.0) to the tallest component on the MS3 daughtercard (looks like the top side of the ethernet jack is the highest point).

I'm thinking about 1.5-1.8", but an exact measurement would be killer

Pile - I'm planning on stuffing the boards in to a stock t4 ECU housing for a clean install - I will route all of the I/O from the megasquirt to the connector on the outside of the stock ECU housing. I want to avoid using the megasquirt case since I already have such a nice stock mounting setup (in the engine bay but somewhat isolated from elevated temps, etc). Not sure yet what I will do about the serial connection, may route through the stock connector or may just break it out separately and run the connection through the "pie lid" in the engine bay.

Thanks,

Chris
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

type11969 wrote:Max - According to my notes, the MS3 case is 2.6" high. I'm guessing the number you quoted above is the outside case dimension.
Yep, that's what I did. I missed that you are doing your own enclosure.

Max