Programmable on/off outputs and table switching questions

fugazi885

Programmable on/off outputs and table switching questions

Post by fugazi885 »

So I'm up and running and having all sorts of fun with tunerstudio and am discovering all these seemingly cool features that I'd like to try. I have a ms2 3.57 board and relay box and am trying to figure out how to setup a couple programmable outputs. From what I have read if I'm understanding correctly I can drive a fan relay off the fidle pin as long as it is unused which it is not. When using the relay board there is also a jumper that needs to be soldered that will either send 12 volts to the fidle pin on the terminal strip or ground it. Seeing as how you can switch the power or ground to operate a relay is there a preference on which way to do it. Also, do these settings look right to run the fan relay?
The other thing I was looking at is table switching for the spark advance table. My car is boosted and this seems like an awesome feature, once again presuming I actually understand half of what I'm reading lol. It looks like if you turn on table switching and set the switch source to kpa you can basically take your spark table from a 12x12 and make it 12x24 if you wanted to have more kpa bins. Is that about the jest of it?
I should probably add a disclaimer that this is not my actual tune, I opened a second project in tunerstudio and am working offline. I wanted to be sure this is correct before I went any further with it.
jhoefer

Re: Programmable on/off outputs and table switching question

Post by jhoefer »

fugazi885 wrote:From what I have read if I'm understanding correctly I can drive a fan relay off the fidle pin as long as it is unused which it is not. When using the relay board there is also a jumper that needs to be soldered that will either send 12 volts to the fidle pin on the terminal strip or ground it. Seeing as how you can switch the power or ground to operate a relay is there a preference on which way to do it. Also, do these settings look right to run the fan relay?
That jumper determines whether that relay's output will supply power or ground. You will have one wire from this relay's output to the fan. If you have the other wire to the fan hardwired to ground, set the jumper to supply power. If you have the other wire to the fan hardwired to power, set the jumper to supply ground. From a wiring standpoint, you can save wire by supplying power with the relay and grounding the other fan wire to the closest chassis ground. Do it the other way and you have to run a power wire all the way from the fusebox to the fan and a ground wire all the way to the relay board. Yes your TS settings look ok.
The other thing I was looking at is table switching for the spark advance table. My car is boosted and this seems like an awesome feature, once again presuming I actually understand half of what I'm reading lol. It looks like if you turn on table switching and set the switch source to kpa you can basically take your spark table from a 12x12 and make it 12x24 if you wanted to have more kpa bins. Is that about the jest of it?
You can certainly do it. Some examples where I might use table switching (or blending) is when changing fuel (Regular -> E85), switching street -> strip (tuning for higher boost, more resolution at higher rpms), etc.
fugazi885

Re: Programmable on/off outputs and table switching question

Post by fugazi885 »

Thanks for chiming in, been working on my ignition map and it now looks like this.
Also got the fan wiring sorted, I ended up soldering the jumper to make it ground the fidle pin, I'm going to use that to drive an external relay powered off the battery. I know it's totally redundant to use a relay to drive another relay but I just don't trust that tiny jumper pin to carry the load of a fan... Especially a fan that came from empi :lol: