MegaSquirt wont come up in TUnerStudio

tezlum

MegaSquirt wont come up in TUnerStudio

Post by tezlum »

Hi Im new to megasquirts and I just picked one up used for my buggy/autocross project and I'm having issues with TunerStudio MS detecting the unit. It a Megasquirt 2 on a v2.2 board. Also im using a pl-2303 serial to usb adapter. Not sure if the adapter is the problem but windows sees it fine and I changed the baud rate to 11520.

Also sometimes i can get it to come up in tuner studio but it usually says yyy for the firmware and signature

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem before

Thanks for the help in advance
Piledriver

Re: MegaSquirt wont come up in TUnerStudio

Post by Piledriver »

The prolific USB adapters are hit and miss, find an ftdi chipset or microconnectors (MOSCHIP chipset) unit.

If you have registered tuner studio there are a couple better com options, but the free version is limited to std serial driver.
Turning the sample rate down helps.

With jssc or the ftdi setup using its driver, you can get well over 50hz using an FTDI or Microconnector adapter using MS2..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
tezlum

Post by tezlum »

I will try that, I we report back with a new FTDI adapter and see it it works

Thanks
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

Or you can get the USB/serial cable from the TS site, never had any issues with that cable on my netbook I used for tuning that didn't have a serial port.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's FTDI, and would be a good choice.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
tezlum

Post by tezlum »

THanks for the help I ended up getting a FTDI adapter and it did help but then after checking my serial to serial extension cable it was not a straight through like it was supposed to be. So after getting a straight through serial to serial cable both ftdi and prolithic adapter worked great. THe FTDI cable seemed to burn faster so i will us that adapter.
panel

Post by panel »

Pile , Do you have any links to sites that you would recommend these DB9-USB adapters?
Piledriver wrote: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:40 pm The prolific USB adapters are hit and miss, find an ftdi chipset or microconnectors (MOSCHIP chipset) unit.

If you have registered tuner studio there are a couple better com options, but the free version is limited to std serial driver.
Turning the sample rate down helps.

With jssc or the ftdi setup using its driver, you can get well over 50hz using an FTDI or Microconnector adapter using MS2..
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

TunerStudio has moved on since the above post, JSSC is the "standard RS232" with V3+ of TS, so it should just work.

Frys electronics sells the 2 channel Microconnectors units, and most places sell FTDI adapters, including DIYAutotune, EFIAnalytics, and probably even Mario.

2 channel Microconnector brand (MOSCHIP chipset):
http://www.frys.com/product/5814543
I have a couple of these, work great, and I can connect my ECU and my WBO2 and "talk" to both.
Microcenter sells them too but wants $50 for the same part # :roll:

FTDI: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Startech-1-P ... n/16784138

Amazon et al also have both of these listed for sane prices.

Everyone seems to want $60 for a dual FTDI adapter, so I'll skip that.

In either case, I suggest picking up a "connector saver" 9 pin to 9 pin male<>female adapter and pull pin 9, in case you have modded the ECU to put 5v on pin 9 for a Bluetooth adapter, as well as taking the wear and tear of normal use.
(Pin 9 is normally not connected so is usually "safe", but I have seen it cause issues on some USB adapters)

In future, I'll probably buy the new CANBUS wbo2 from 14point7.com so it just connects directly to the Megasquirt digitally, up to 8 LSU 4.9 sensors.(modular, uses spartan2 modules you can add on)

https://www.14point7.com/products/megaspartan
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Piledriver wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:05 pm In future, I'll probably buy the new CANBUS wbo2 from 14point7.com so it just connects directly to the Megasquirt digitally, up to 8 LSU 4.9 sensors.(modular, uses spartan2 modules you can add on)

https://www.14point7.com/products/megaspartan
I have that thing. Its pretty sweet. Will be really neat when he finishes the exhaust manifold pressure comp stuff, and I can actually use the sensors for tuning. For now, i have it unplugged from the CAN network, and am using my single LC2 connected via serial to my IOX to tune with.