Modding MSII v3 with Hall Effect to VR

UKLuke72

Modding MSII v3 with Hall Effect to VR

Post by UKLuke72 »

Morning chaps,

I did the following mods to my MSII to go with a HE sensor but I now want to change to using VR since I've gone for a new triggerwheel setup that has much finer teeth...

TACHSELECT to XG1
TACHIN to pin24
C30(top) to S12C to JS9
TSEL to OPTOOUT
1k resistor @R12

Am I better off undoing all of the above or can what I have be used for VR?

Cheers!
MarioVelotta

Re: Modding MSII v3 with Hall Effect to VR

Post by MarioVelotta »

You will need to do some reconfiguration for VR use.
The Dub Shop
[email protected]
1600 ITB NA - 18sec
1600 Supercharged - 13psi - 15.40 @ 84.66mph
1600 Turbo - 185hp 250tq!! Going for 200
2276 Turbo - 15psi - 11.537 @ 115.74mph
Facebook-Tech-Store
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

Digging this one up...

Remove the HE stuff, and link out the following... Is that all that is required?

TACHSELECT to VRIN
VrOUT to TSEL
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Yes, but if any Hall sensor works with the wheel use that.
Hall sensor produce a stable, noise resistant signal.
VR simply cannot do that without external circuitry, and even then is less reliable.

~30 years ago a VR sensor was cheaper and more reliable than the newfangled hall sensors.
That situation reversed about 15 years ago, and I cannot think of an OEM using VR sensors for anything now.

Some modern $7 Hall sensors have their own internal processor on chip to provide a stable signal.

The ATS '667 gear tooth sensor I used works down to a 2.2mm pitch, and can reliably read a 36 tooth RC car 32 pitch steel gear past 15K shaft RPM. (in a distributor)
It seems to greatly prefer a "filled in" tooth vs a "missing" (ground out) tooth, suspect the missing tooth jacks with its AGC logic.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

I'm happy to run with the HE setup providing I can find a suitable sensor to fit my trigger wheel...

Looks like this Honeywell could be of use?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The linked honeywell sensor you linked to will NOT work as it is not a Hall geartooth sensor. The wheel would have to have magnets embedded in it, which is very old school.

A geartooth sensor has the magnet built into the sensor, just needs a rotating steel or iron wheel with suitably sized teeth passing by to work.

I'd bet Mario has something suitable.

You are in the UK so here's a possible source:
\http://uk.farnell.com/honeywell-s-c/1gt ... dp/1225630

You can actually build your own module with much better specs, using off the shelf parts if you were into that sort of thing.
An Allegro '667 sensor is $7 and runs little circles around that Honeywell sensor while patting it on the head.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

I have a 1GT101DC somewhere... I reckon that could work... Assuming it'll see my teeth, they're kinda small...
The Allegro 667 is beyond me...I'm a spanner monkey :D

UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

I'm gonna mod the board for VR, I have a sensor that I KNOW works with this trigger wheel where as the 1GT101DC states it needs bigger gaps. If this doesn't work out I can obviously try the hall sensor...
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

UKLuke72 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:56 am I'm gonna mod the board for VR, I have a sensor that I KNOW works with this trigger wheel where as the 1GT101DC states it needs bigger gaps. If this doesn't work out I can obviously try the hall sensor...
\
What mainboard?
V3s don't really need any mods just adjusted different.

As I still lack a v3 mainboard...
I always used a LM1813 (from memory) for VR.
Last setup I used had two VR amps and a few transistors, "zeal engineering" board, worked great.

Another setup to consider that I have tried is an ms3x driver card and one of the diy "ms2xt" adapters.
That actually allows full sequential with zero mainboard mods, and the ms3x tach input can be set as the primary input, that circuit is vr or hall compatible.
The pictures etc have probably all been deleted by now at msextra forums due to age, but the info/board files and probably even boards are still available.
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

Yeah v3.0, I just linked out the following for VR use

Off Topic
V3.0 board - VR Input for VR (magnetic) sensor
a) Solder a link between VRIN and TACHSELECT
b) Solder a wire between VrOUT and TSEL
c) With a small screwdriver, turn the pots, R52 and R56, about 12 turns anticlockwise (sometimes you may feel a "click" when the end position is reached, they can't be damaged by turning too far.) This sets them up for most VR sensors.
I'd go and install it in the car but I can't for the life of me remember what I did with the keys... Only had them at the weekend :evil: