No crank sensor input.

gtmdriver

No crank sensor input.

Post by gtmdriver »

Just finished the EFI installation today and started the testing.

I'm using the MS2 V3 on an air cooled 1600 TP Type 1 engine.

I went through all the settings again first then started the testing procedure.

The injectors, coils and fuel pump all worked correctly so I moved on to the crankshaft tach-in signal test.

No pattern whatsoever showed up on the composite log and when I tried to view the data there was a message that said that 'No data Was Received From The Controller''.

I'm using a VR sensor with a 36-1 trigger wheel. The sensor to wheel clearance is 1.5mm.

I have checked out the sensor with my meter and it has a resistance of 400 ohm so it is not open circuit. I also checked the wiring to the DB37 connector and I get the same reading between pin 24 (positive) and pin 1 (ground).

I was prepared to do some adjustments on the sensor gap or the VR conditioning pots but I did not expect to get a perfect flat line with absolutely no data received.

The rest of the system worked perfectly on the Jim Stim.

Any ideas?
Last edited by gtmdriver on Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piledriver

Re: No crank sensor input.

Post by Piledriver »

Get the gap <1mm and adjust the pots for the VR amp per manual.

.060"/1.5mm is way out there.

Small changes in sensor gap can make a huge difference in signal.

The issue with VR is its proportional to RPM as well, so you can have too much signal at high RPM.

You have to find the sweet spot where the signal works at cranking speed and doesn't clip at redline.
Its far easier to deal with too much signal than none, so get that gap down close.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Eyeballing the trigger wheel, you have good steady clearance from the teeth to the sensor?

Just try a few adjustments of distance. I found that it can be too close or too far away to where it doesn't sense the change in polarity with the teeth.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

OK. I've opened up the MS unit and the VR jumpers are in place as they should be.

I've checked the adjustment of the trim pots and they are both set 12 turns anticlockwise from full clockwise. One of them clicks at the end of the adjustment, the other doesn't.

I've closed up the sensor gap to 0.030" (0.75mm). There is little or no run out.

I've tried the tach-in test again and there is no change. There is absolutely no trace of a signal on the rpm plot. It is a perfect flat line.

When I check the data it says "Empty Read. No data received from controller."

It seems something fundamental is wrong. I might expect a weak or intermittent signal if the sensor gap, VR conditioning or polarity was wrong but there is absolutely no trace of a signal at all.

I've tried the JimStim again and, as expected, it logs a perfect pattern and wheel plot so the MS is talking to the computer correctly.

The guy who built up the MS unit for me checked it out by running it on his car so it must have been reading a toothed wheel correctly when he did that.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Is your VR sensor wired reverse polarity? The signal crossing switch point.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

No offense, but you're sure you have the sensor wired correctly like the image? Tested with a voltmeter for continuity?

I had the same problem with my EDIS/MJ system initially, I played with the adjustment some then it picked up the signal. Do you have an extra sensor?

I'm not sure of how to test the sensor that you have, but there's probably info. out there.

gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

This is my VR sensor. I believe it is a Ford unit.

The photo showing the connections came from the website of the supplier so that is how it is wired. At the DB37 connector the + ve wire is connected to pin 24 and the -ve connector to pin 1.

I tried changing the ignition setting from Rising Edge to Falling Edge but it made no difference.

If it was reversed wired would I get a faulty signal or no signal at all?

I have measured the resistance across the terminals and it comes out at 400 ohms which is on spec. I get the same reading between pins 1 and 24 at the DB37 connector so the wiring is sound.

Today I intend to try to measure the AC voltage output of the sensor when cranking and also to start with both VR trim pots fully anticlockwise to see if I can get a signal.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

I finally got it sorted this lunchtime.

I checked the signal from the VR sensor and it was producing around 200mv AC so I opened up the MS casing and changed the trim pot settings from 12 turns anti-clockwise as advised in the hardware guide to fully anti-clockwise as specified in the Mega Manual.

I immediately got a clean signal in the Composite Logger, a perfect tooth pattern in the Tooth Logger and Full Synch Lock on the Dashboard with a stable RPM reading showing on the gauge.

I am guessing that with the first settings the trigger voltage was set too high for my VR signal.

Thanks for all your help and advice in sorting this.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Glad to hear it's working, :wink:
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Cool.

Now, delete any bookmarks or documents having to do with the Megamanual and bin them, try hard to mentally flush any information taken from it, and forget it exists...

MSExtra has its own manuals, and uses the hardware differently in places, trying to use the B&G docs and running msextra causes headaches for all.

If you still have the B&G firmware loaded, you will want to fix that.
You'll never need the boot jumper again after the upgrade to ms2extra.

The B&G code is very limited in functionality and has not been actually developed in years.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.