1600 TP air cooled EFI Conversion

gtmdriver

1600 TP air cooled EFI Conversion

Post by gtmdriver »

Even when I was building my Fugitive II it had always been my intention to convert it to EFI. I need to learn about fuel injection for my freelance work as a technical journalist and I thought that the best way to learn would be to actually do it.

I spent quite a while collecting all the parts I thought I would need but I started the conversion in earnest a couple of months ago.

I had been running with twin ICT 34 Weber carbs and an electronic distributor so they had to come off first.

I also pulled the distributor drive and had a blanking plug machined up to block the hole.

The EFI conversion uses standard VW twin port manifolds converted, by Dan ST Engineering, to take Ford Focus injectors using off-the-shelf injector bungs from TriggerWheels.

The throttle body is from a BWM R1200 motorcycle. I chose this for its ease of fitting and the fact that it had an idle air control valve fitted.

I cut and mitred the tubing for the manifold but had it professionally welded as I can't weld alloy.

I mounted the filter on an aftermarket alloy bend and also fitted the intake air temperature sensor and the engine breather into the same tube.

The exhaust is a standard Beetle item and I had already welded the lambda sensor bung in place during the car build.

The toothed wheel and crank position sensor came from Triggerwheels. The wheel was very carefully mounted, welded and finally machined on a lathe. The sensor is a Ford VR item.

The coil pack is also a Ford item and I mounted that where the original VW ignition coil had been.

I mounted all the electronics of a single GRP board

then mounted the board to the N/S engine side cover.

The high pressure fuel system was similarly mounted on the O/S engine side panel then plumbed in using stainless steel tubing and bio-fuel safe rubber lines.

After a couple of adjustments to get a good crank position signal it fired up first time and the next day, after a bit of fiddling with the settings, I took it out for a drive with the autotune function switched on. It's very odd to drive a car which is tuning itself as you go.

Even at this early stage it's a definite improvement over the carburetted version.
ToRy 70

Re: 1600 TP air cooled EFI Conversion

Post by ToRy 70 »

Very nice work and clean install! Do you have a feeder pump for that swirl pot setup?
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

Yes.

I'm using the Facet electric pump which originally supplied the twin carburettors to supply the swirl pot.
andy198712

Post by andy198712 »

looks great, did you just drill and tap the rails for the hold downs?
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

Yes. The fuel rail cross section has a solid section which you can drill and tap as required.

Just be careful not to break into the fuel passage.