Will not start or idle

Jadewombat

Will not start or idle

Post by Jadewombat »

Why would there be PW 1 and 2 of ~0.620 when I'm cranking, then suddenly go to "0" when the engine starts firing?

It does this every time now, as in, I'll crank and crank and after about 3 seconds it will catch and fire instantaneously then both PW shut off (go to 0). Changing ASE and WUE settings are having no effect now. It was running the other day and I didn't change anything. Plugs are in good shape and I still have spark. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
risk

Re: Will not start or idle

Post by risk »

I don't know if this is causing your issue or not.. but your cranking dwell and cranking advance are both set to 0.

Looking at my tune, I have 6ms cranking dwell and 10 degrees cranking advance..
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

The MS is being run in fuel-only with a trigger wheel for the RPMs. When the engine fires the RPMs do kick up to 400-700 momentarily. I'm trying to get the fuel settings correct (unsuccessfully so far) before I go to crank-trigger firing a coilpack. My setup is:

1.25 rockers
Bosch 180cc injectors
36-1 trigger wheel
009 with Petronix for spark
risk

Post by risk »

Ok gotcha. Have you tried raising the cranking rpm threshold? Mine is set to 650.

fyi: A friend of mine was using microsquirt, triggering off a distributor and had all sorts of problems until he went to coil near plug.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Just tried that just now. When it's cranking it's right at 225 on a fully charged battery, about 200 if the battery is a little low. I tried setting the threshold to 250, 300, 500. It still does the same thing. The PWs come up right away when it's cranking, then go off when it fires, then the come back up momentarily.
risk

Post by risk »

Can you use the trigger logger to see if the signal from the distributor is dropping off?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

This was resolved with a 36-1 crank` wheel and VR sensor to provide an RPM signal in another thread.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

The signal from the VR and trigger wheel looks steady and consistent, please confirm?? What do the flags in the log mean?

Going to try reshielding the TPS sensor wires also today. Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

Don't set your cranking rpm too high or it will drop into cranking mode if the tickover speed drops below the threshold for any reason. I would go with 300 - 350rpm.

I have a Priming Pulse of 8 cold dropping to 4 hot

My Cranking Pulse is 300% cold, 100% hot.

After Start Enrichment goes from 40% hot to 0% cold.

Warmup Enrichment drops from 200% to 0%.

I am using a stepper motor IACV and my closed loop idle curve drops from 1650rpm cold to 850 rpm hot.

My IACV is open 160 steps when cranking cold dropping to 90 steps hot but this setting is probably not transferable.

I still have some work to do on the After Start Enrichment and its taper but my engine now starts and idles steadily without touching the throttle pedal.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I haven't had time to monkey with it. Maybe this weekend.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I twisted the three TPS wires and shielded them, but I really don't think noise in the wires is the problem. Tried setting the cranking RPMs down to 300 and 250 also.

The problem has been the same every single time the last few weeks though. I can watch the gauge cluster of TS while I crank and the RPMs are steady and PW 1 and 2 come up to about 0.6ms. The instant the engine catches and starts to fire, both PW 1 and 2 go to "0", then the engine dies.

After a second or two PW 1 and 2 come back up again.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

A video of the problem at hand. Tried adjusting the VR sensor with a hair more gap today. No change.

http://vid52.photobucket.com/albums/g30 ... 9acffe.mp4
66brm

Post by 66brm »

So it "fires" but doesn't catch? What are your ASE settings?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Firmware might be corrupted. Reload firmware, build fresh tune from the original base tune, not your current one. This could help. Have you posted about this at msextra.com?
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Come to think of it, I remember TS belched one time on initial communication saying it couldn't see any of the current tune and asked me all kinds of questions about syncing or something. I of course ignored it not knowing what it was asking me, exited out, went back in and everything "looked" normal.

Will try to reload the firmware and the tune this weekend.