Trouble shooting sync loss

clintonddk

Trouble shooting sync loss

Post by clintonddk »

What things should I look for with a loss of sync?
madmike

Re: Trouble shooting sync loss

Post by madmike »

A big Hole in the kitchen counter :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hey Clinton,, sorry I'm no help,,, but made u smile :lol:
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

clintonddk wrote:What things should I look for with a loss of sync?
Sensor gap. Trigger wheel run-out can also play a big part.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

What would you consider a good sensor gap? According to my tooth log it looks good but then again I have no idea what I'm looking at. I think what is confusing it it reads ever 35 tooth as a miss tooth when I have a 36-1 wheel.
jhoefer

Post by jhoefer »

Sensor gap really depends on the sensor, but 0.5 to 1.0 mm is a good starting point as long as the trigger wheel doesn't have runout.

A 36-1 tooth log should have 34 short lines followed by 1 double-height line. The double-height line represents both tooth 35 and the missing tooth 36.

While cranking, you will probably see a repeating wave pattern in the height of the short lines with 2 peaks between each double-length line. This is due to the variation in rotation speed from each piston compressing the air and slowing the engine down then speeding up again on the down-stroke. Even so, each double-length line should be clearly distinguishable from the rest of the pattern.

If you can find the Lost Sync Reason(s) in your logs or see it on the TS Dashboard, you can compare it to the list in Section 5.2.1 of the Quickstart http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/Megasqui ... Up-1.4.pdf That might help you narrow it down.

A screenshot of the tooth logger graph would also be helpful to look at.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

I was getting sync errors when my sensor was too close. Someone suggested adding a 10K resistor, but I wound up just moving the sensor further back and it solved the problem. More gap is more resistance.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

Okay, I'll double check my gap again. I did try some different gaps before and when it was bigger I could actually hear my ecu make a clicking noise. Thanks for the lost of sync codes. My reason for lost of sync is 2 and that is labeled as missing tooth in wrong spot. Any idea what that means.
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

Recheck the amount of degrees from TDC your sensor is. It's one of the settings in TS. Don't remember exactly where in TS, but mine was set to 80 degrees which was close but in actuality was like 76 degrees the way I mounted my sensor.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

Yes, :D I finally got a somewhat clean trip down the road. Engine felt really strong dispite some spark knock but hopefully that can be tuned out. Thanks for all help.
paullanzarotti

Post by paullanzarotti »

I just had major issues with losing synch and it corresponded with a regular but random voltage drop from 14.8 to 5v. I had to go through each earth cable and check that everything was solid and it took a few days to sort and at first I thought the sensor was too close to the trigger wheel. I adjusted that and it made no difference and in the end with a bit of help we go to the bottom of the issue.

1) Run a condenser from the coil pack to ground to prevent voltage flyback.

2) Turn on the Noise filter in MS.

All the components in my system are brand new (From Dubshop) but for some reason the coil pack wasn't happy. Now its fixed everything run a lot better.
gtmdriver

Post by gtmdriver »

If it's an MS2 there are two VR signal conditioning potentiometers inside the casing which need to be adjusted fully anti-clockwise for a VR sensor signal.