MAT temp

clintonddk

MAT temp

Post by clintonddk »

What would be a overall acceptable manifold air temperature?
Clonebug

Re: MAT temp

Post by Clonebug »

Under what conditions????
Are you N/A or boosted???
Whenever you compress air it heats up.
I had 186* at 13 lbs boost with an ambient temp of around 80-90*.

With my water injection I can keep my iat's down to 135* at 22 lbs boost.

It really helps hold off detonation when you can keep the iat's down.

My cruising intake temps range from 80-100*at home and when I was in the hottest parts of California I saw my cruise iat's as high as 135*
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Also, where is your sensor located? Does it heat soak at all? Is it open or closed element. My open element sensor is located in my steel plenum that is connected to my aluminum off style intake manifold, I'm pretty sure I get some heat soak in mine. Temps definitely will increase as the engine warms up. I think mine cruises in the 130° to 150° range depending on ambient temps, it will increase a little with boost, but my intercooler keeps things pretty stable no matter the boost I shove into it. I sprayed pure methanol on the track last year at 20 psi and saw temps go from 140°ish to 114° or so over the coarse of my run, so that was pretty cool.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

My sensor is located just pass my throttle body and my throttle body sit about the same location as a stock carb. I'm not sure whether it's a closed element or not. I am using the sensor that DIY sells. My temp is over double what both of you guys have posted. Chip, where did you mount your intercooler?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

My intercooler is not in an ideal location. It is mounted to my package tray. My pressure pipes pass through my firewall.
clintonddk

Post by clintonddk »

So Chip, does this mean that it is inside the passenger compartment or under the car by the tranny?
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Right behind the back seat, in the passenger compartment.
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

clintonddk wrote:My sensor is located just pass my throttle body and my throttle body sit about the same location as a stock carb. I'm not sure whether it's a closed element or not. I am using the sensor that DIY sells. My temp is over double what both of you guys have posted. Chip, where did you mount your intercooler?
Can you post a pic of it???

Is that temp at cruise or on boost???
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
panel

Post by panel »

Is everyone in this post dealing with °F or °C just in case of discrepancies :oops: Though 100°F is 37°C but you never know.
'65 Bus with a JDM Subaru EJ20 Turbo
Built by Germans powered by Japanese and brought together by Canadians
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

F for me
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Here is a photo of a datalog showing how well the Methanol shot does at dropping temps over a run. MAT is the white line in the middle of the graph. This was a 1/4 mile pass in Las Vegas from last year.