Edis on ms1 v2.2

DeathBySnuSnu

Re: Edis on ms1 v2.2

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Piledriver wrote: Sat May 13, 2017 10:49 pm Dos sessions works pretty good within VMware or Virtualbox, or even qemu, use a floppy image or premade virtual drive.

That works with anything that can be made to work with a USB serial adapter, DOS doesn't see it as USB of course, it just sees a std com port.

I have run into like two things that really require a meatspace serial port, and that was just because they were crud software. I have a gobook3 if I need a real serial port.

In any case, the hires code is described in the forums well, and I'd use 10G per the authors advice.
HR11d might work for you, as long as you don't need whatever feature is broken.(didn't investigate)

It hasn't gotten any work since 2011, its out of memory space, and assembly coding is a dying practice, as memory is cheap now on modern hardware.

Yeah I have 5 or 6 laptops all with serial ports and all with different op sys on them. They are somewhat organized. One for Allen Bradley by itself, one with Win NT for the machines at the Corp of engineer, and so on.......
The one I have been using is a win 7 tough book.
I just hafta put the stuff on one of the older ones.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Clonebug sent me an edis module.
Bad news.... it does the exact same thing.
Pulled the entire harness off, unwrapped everything and have been over it with a fine tooth comb.
And nothing......
Unhooked everthing from the megasquirt except the edis and still the same.

Hooking up the pip wire slams the tach to max with both modules. I would not think both have the exact same thing wrong with them.

DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

The megasquirt works perfectly on the stim.
The settings are on edis per the extra manual.
Reflashed and nope. Went ahead and changed to hi res 10 and set everything back up from scratch and still the same.

What in the world am I missing?

The fuel pump relay is clicking in and out like a major set up error. Migjy be because of the 80,000 rpm that is reported on pip though....I dunno and getting dumber by the minute.

Now I am making a test fixture to run the edis off the engine.

Whittled out a little 5 inch wheel.

TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Maybe it is a hw problem in ms itself. Can you tell me on which pins is the edis connected, so i can look in the schematic and give you some hints? Just to save a bit of time for me to look in the whole documentation.
I've done some reading on the Megamanual site, please check the following on PCB:
- the 5th hole of JP1 to the SAW pin (#3) on the EDIS module (which you can jumper to an unused DB37 pin, if you want),
- the PIP pin (#1 on the EDIS module) to DB37 pin #24,
- Make sure D8 (the 'John' Zener diode) is jumpered.

Also please check that jumper XG1-XG2 is in place.

I do not know what your HW knowledge is, this is what I'm trying to point out the easy checks on PCB.
An oscillosope would point out exactly what happens, how PIP signal looks like, how the output to uC looks like etc. But this is not what everybody has at home.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

NonononoNo do not read the Megamanual, forget it exists.
The msextra firmware uses the hardware differently in places, the megamanual is just close enough to cause intense confusion, it' only valid for the very limited and long ignored B&G firmware.

Follow the explicit instructions in the manuals on msextra.com...
... or rip it out put in two resistors and add a driver pack, and a hall sensor and go direct fire in 20 minutes.
The msextra code and hardware is far more than capable enough.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Sorry my mistake. I did not re-read all topic and didn't see it is MS1 extra. I would still check again the pcb implementation.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

NBD, but I can personally attest:
after carefully study of the megamanual, and then building for and running msextra, this way madness lies.

...Just similar enough to cause migraines.
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

I have reviewed the mods multiple times and i am certain they are correct.
As I understand it..... the mod is for making an output for saw as the original ms1 had no ignition output.
And the input is not modified....just set to edis in software as the input is already there on original board.

I do believe I get a saw output.
The ms works on the stim.
Reports good on all the inputs.

I believe it is external of the ms or possibly a set up part I am missing in ts.

And yes I probably have an oscilloscope somewhere.
It has been years......but it is probably stuffed in a closet somewhere. I would dig it out but I dont know what to test.

I am making a test rig for the edis. Maybe once that is made i can scope the pip output of the module.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Went digging through a bunch of my old stuff.
I dont remember buying 4 of them..... but anyway

Have done to much work, done to many things, caint remember it all anymore.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Did scrounge up some of the parts for a test fixture.

So if i caint get the edis to work without spending money I will be looking at the path to upgrades. Maybe a quad spark. That should serve me well as I upgrade along.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Nice selection of scopes...

Post up an msq (zip it up) and let us eyeball it. Maybe its just a setting.
EDIS should just work, even without the MS hooked up, it should run with fixed 10 btdc timing if the sensors in the right place. All te MS does is tweak the timing, based on an input signal and timing table etc..

EDIS mainly suffered from being inscrutable.

With direct control you have goesintas and goesoutas you can simply follow the signal until it stops, much easier.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Will do.
Just not with it right now.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

Here It is.
Change anything you want, I have other copys.

Thanks for the help
Scooter with edis.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Probable "aha" ...
Set to alpha-n as I suspect the MAP sensor will be ~useless with the chosen cam.
The other changes should be obvious and relevant to the spark issue.

Set engine constants like this and it may work:
edis4-set-like-this.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeathBySnuSnu

Post by DeathBySnuSnu »

I do know it is set on 2 cyl.
But I got from somewhere that with dual table each constants were only for the one table.
I have two seperate constants each set to 2 cyl.

Do you think both constants need to be set on 4 cyl?