How do I get my bug to start like factory

paullanzarotti

How do I get my bug to start like factory

Post by paullanzarotti »

With the stock ECU my Mexican bug used to start immediately like this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2GNVS3a5x4

However, since moving to Megasquirt it take a few seconds to start. I have dialed in the start up sequence and I have been playing around with the settings for nearly 2 years now and still it doesn;t get close to starting as well as it did with the factory ECU.

It seems like the spark takes a few seconds to kick in (I'm using wasted spark) and although I have reduced the "skip pulses" from 3 to 2 it still make no difference.

IS there anyone out there using MS on a bug that has managed to get it to start quickly?
ps2375

Re: How do I get my bug to start like factory

Post by ps2375 »

Found this explanation on a forum w/ a google search: "It's a number of tach pulses to skip on startup before sending spark. Useful to build oil pressure before spinning the crank quickly or to get a good sync. 3 is a decent number to use."

You could reduce it more if you want. Have you tried '0"?
paullanzarotti

Post by paullanzarotti »

It needs a couple of tach pulses to get its timing. I haven't tried reducing to zero because the difference between 3 or 0 revolutions of the engine when it's cranking at 200 rpm is about 0.9 of second and I am trying to figure out why the engine cranks for 2-3 seconds. I have reduced it to 2 and that's made no difference so I don't think that's where the issue lies.

It would be helpful if anyone has a video of their MS bug starting to use as a comparison.
paullanzarotti

Post by paullanzarotti »

It needs a couple of tach pulses to get its timing. I haven't tried reducing to zero because the difference between 3 or 0 revolutions of the engine when it's cranking at 200 rpm is about 0.9 of second and I am trying to figure out why the engine cranks for 2-3 seconds. I have reduced it to 2 and that's made no difference so I don't think that's where the issue lies.

It would be helpful if anyone has a video of their MS bug starting to use as a comparison.
ps2375

Post by ps2375 »

how are you priming pulses setup? and your cranking pulses? And do you have an AUX Air valve/idle valve?