oil temp sensor

volksdragn

oil temp sensor

Post by volksdragn »

Hi, I am in need of some help, my car is running MS3 Evo, I have recently added an oil temperature sensor, using a delphi gm type sensor with gm calibration. at room temperature my gauge in tuner studio shows 70. if I add heat to the sensor the reading never changes. If I ohm the sensor out on the bench I get changes in ohms based on temperature input. however tuner studio never shows changes based on heat. am missing something in my settings? The sensor is connected to the sensor ground on one lead and the other wire is attached to analog in 1 on the MS3. any help would be appreciated.
Piledriver

Re: oil temp sensor

Post by Piledriver »

A bias resistor is usually needed if you are setting up any temp sensor.

Look at the v3xx mainboard schematics for examples, MAT and CLT use the same circuit you must duplicate.
Check with your vendor, there may be an on-board jumper that can be set or such on your particular MS3..
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
volksdragn

Post by volksdragn »

yes you are correct, so i have changed my settings from gm calibration to same as mat calibration with built in bias resistor. i was under the impression that the analog inputs i am using have a built in bias resistor but i could be mistaken, i am trying to track down that information now.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The analog ins on ms2/ms3 (std) are simple 0-5v inputs with little>no protection or additional circuitry.
Some of the newer ms3pro/etc setups may have selectable bias resistors on some channels, guessing.

They are ideal for 0-5v industrial temp/fuel/oil pressure or other sensor setups like many TC/ EGT amps.
(Although one has to be careful as many TC outputs are 0-12v, which would end badly)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
volksdragn

Post by volksdragn »

I have been picking my brain, and again you are correct on that, the analog channels are 0-5 I noticed that last night so I'm back to square 1. i do have a programable bias resistor setting in thermister settings, however my simple butt can't figure out what channel to send the signal to. thanks for your help.
Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

This is why i have an IOX with my pro. I have a ton of temp sensors.
volksdragn

Post by volksdragn »

I talked with Mario at The Dubshop and he set me straight, it was in fact a resistor, i had to wire it between the sensor input and the 5 volt reference. its working great now.