Getting my bluetooth serial adaptor working?

petew

Getting my bluetooth serial adaptor working?

Post by petew »

Hi all, I'm running a MS2 microsquirt in my bug. I bought one of these last year...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RS232-Bluet ... SwxGRZgsr-

I've finally wired it up tonight and I'm getting no joy at all. Couldn't get TS to sense it. Can't get my PC laptop to sense it either. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated.
Volky

Re: Getting my bluetooth serial adaptor working?

Post by Volky »

Petew,

I have a similar device. My unit is a HC-05 which has to be programmed to 115,200 baud rate. If not, it won't connect.
1970 VW Beetle with 2109cc turbo with MS-II v3.0, wasted spark, electronic boost controller, dual table, launch control and 3.88 tranny. All done by me...:) t03 running 48lb. Injectors, Intercooler, Water/Meth injection at 15psi.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Are you connecting it to the MS2 RS232 plug? You have to add one more wire to the MS2 plug, a 5V supply. Normally only TX, RX and GND are connected. So you are now not powering up the BT adapter. Check the pin which requires 5V, and solder a wire to the corresponding MS2 DB9 connector pin from the 5V output (can be the internal 5V or the 5V for TPS).
petew

Post by petew »

Volky wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:32 am Petew,

I have a similar device. My unit is a HC-05 which has to be programmed to 115,200 baud rate. If not, it won't connect.
How would I go about doing that?

BTW, the device is powered with 5V via a USB - 12v power supply.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Normally you shall be able to connect to it using a PC and USB-RS232 adapter, using the default baudrate you set on your receiver (9600 I think). Then you can send a command to change the default baud rate to what you need. See link below, you do not need to have an arduino to do it, just the software. Or another serial monitor SW able to send and receive commands, like Putty. I remember doing the same thing to my serial to bluetooth adapter, but my module is connected directly to RX and TX of microcontroller.
https://www.hobbyist.co.nz/?q=bluetooth ... igurations
petew

Post by petew »

TZepeSH wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:38 am Normally you shall be able to connect to it using a PC and USB-RS232 adapter, using the default baudrate you set on your receiver (9600 I think). Then you can send a command to change the default baud rate to what you need. See link below, you do not need to have an arduino to do it, just the software. Or another serial monitor SW able to send and receive commands, like Putty. I remember doing the same thing to my serial to bluetooth adapter, but my module is connected directly to RX and TX of microcontroller.
https://www.hobbyist.co.nz/?q=bluetooth ... igurations
Ok, that makes sense. I'll have to mess around a little. Just to clarify, what software should I use? Where can I find it?

Cheers.
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

Use what is in that tutorial, Arduino IDE. It is free to download and use on the web. But first you will have to play a bit to find the default baud rate for serial communication and COM port. Be patient, use the AT command until you get OK. Then set your desired baud rate (I can not remember what is needed for MS2, but you can find easily this info).
Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

TZepeSH wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:17 pm Use what is in that tutorial, Arduino IDE. It is free to download and use on the web. But first you will have to play a bit to find the default baud rate for serial communication and COM port. Be patient, use the AT command until you get OK. Then set your desired baud rate (I can not remember what is needed for MS2, but you can find easily this info).
MS-2 is 115200 .......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
petew

Post by petew »

TZepeSH wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:17 pm Use what is in that tutorial, Arduino IDE. It is free to download and use on the web. But first you will have to play a bit to find the default baud rate for serial communication and COM port. Be patient, use the AT command until you get OK. Then set your desired baud rate (I can not remember what is needed for MS2, but you can find easily this info).
Right, so I'm having an issue. I don't have a Serial port on my laptop, so I'm using an RS232 --> USB cable instead. I can find the port (Port 4), but when I open up the serial monitor, I can't get the bluetooth board to respond at all.

Thoughts?
TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH »

I think it is a baud rate mismatch, try other speed settings. It does not matter that you are using an USB to RS232 adapter. Also, be sure that the BT is not paired with anything.