PHPBB Major Update

Moderators: lcslouis, doc

doc
Site Admin

Re: PHPBB Major Update

Post by doc » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 am

Please give me an example of pull down menu not working correctly. All mine seem to work.

Paul H

Post by Paul H » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:13 am

Looking good
I sent you some beer money as I thought you might need one :wink:

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:03 am

Piledriver wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 pm
FJCamper wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:18 pm
Gentlemen,

Clear your browser caches and then reload the site.

I saw the same crazy red circle patterns until I did.

Some browsers can clear themselves automatically. I use Opera and it made me clear my cache manually. For Chrome, it's Cntrl-Shift-R.

I think the fixing is 99% done.

FJC
Ctl+shift+r works for Firefox as well, I can open the "new posts" without triggering a seizure again.
(mine were all flashing and in red and blue)

Sadly Chrome on Linux is *crashy, its the only app that can reliably lock up my desktop.
(*Strangely, as it is largely developed on Linux, just apparently not well tested)

Now my only issue is some of the pull down menus seem to insist on being open, and some resist being closed, lacking a button to do so.

Try Ctrl-Shift-R on goofy screen... IT seem to clear mine... Also do total cach clear on browser ... Seems to browser issue more then software/html problem...

You like Linux?.... After getting new machine with windose 10 I am thinking I want to go to Linux or at least try it......
Last edited by Dale M. on Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:05 am

doc wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 am
Please give me an example of pull down menu not working correctly. All mine seem to work.
After making post I seem to be getting a lot of popups or drop downs but for now Ctrl-Shift+R sees to clear them... Something is still not quite right.... Maybe its a WINDOWS problem... But using Chrome browser...

Dale

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:38 pm

My year of "Linux on the Desktop" was 1994...
My primary use of Windows seems to be Windows Update.

Occasionally Win10 is handy for oddball things, but you can do pretty much anything in Linux these days.

Win10 is a big improvement over anything MS did before, but everything I have is dual boot, with Windows knocked down to 64gb of drive space, rest Linux or Android-x86. (You can run Linux distro in Android with ~no performance penalty as it already runs on the Linux kernel)

I usually run Mageia Linux but recommend Mint for any new user, its basically Ubuntu with the rough bits knocked off.

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:21 pm

What I need to do is research more is DUAL BOOT and the new BIOS stuff (UEFI) or go to "legacy" boot in BIOS... Tried to run SLAX from thumb drive and found out about the new godless creature in bios... Got suggestion for a good Board to help beginners?... Don't want to take up a lot of space here...

Dale

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:14 pm

The board seems to be working fine now (once you clear your browser cache) so I'm not too worried about somewhat OT posts in a dead thread.

Most modern Linux distros work just fine with EFI and will dual boot..
You may (or may not) need to turn off "secure boot", some distros have MS signed bootloaders etc.
Note: Microsoft is the largest code contributor to the Linux kernel lately---
Microsoft loves Linux now. :lol:
It would not surprise me at all if they bought Redhat Linux or such... We live in very strange times.
(If anyone suggested that 5 years ago someone would show up to give you your meds...)

Also, most (I cannot think of one that cannot) Linux distros will run entirely off a properly set up USB stick, with persistent storage, optionally encrypted.
A fast, large USB3 stick is suggested for regular use.
This is a good way to start, and is also a supremely useful tool for fixing jacked up Windows boxes.

They can also be installed normally to a USB stick or external USB HDD or SSD, just as if was a HDD.

Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:33 pm

I did a both a disc and system cleanup and defrag and things are working OK now.

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Posts are working, Videos are playing, lots of new tools I haven't got into yet but doc and the other Admins you guys have busted ass and put up with a lot of complaining and suggestions on what you should of done. I appreciate so very much what you guys have done and how well STF is working.
Paul H wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:13 am
Looking good
I sent you some beer money as I thought you might need one :wink:
Your all right Paul.

Dale M.

Post by Dale M. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Piledriver wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Also, most (I cannot think of one that cannot) Linux distros will run entirely off a properly set up USB stick, with persistent storage, optionally encrypted.
A fast, large USB3 stick is suggested for regular use.
This is a good way to start, and is also a supremely useful tool for fixing jacked up Windows boxes.

They can also be installed normally to a USB stick or external USB HDD or SSD, just as if was a HDD.
Yeah that is what I read, but so far UEFI can not seem to find USB stick... Still reading and playing.. There is option to add it to UEFI boot choices, just not quite sure on how to it yet...

You may be right about MS buying a Linus distribution... Windows in i'st latest form may not be long lived and you can only run/write so much into "old" technology..

Dale

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Some EFI setups use 32bit efi on 64 bit systems, which is totally nonstandard...

There is a special 32bit loader for those cases.
It replaces a file called bootia32.efi windows comes std with for those cases and it can load~ anything.

Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Stay strong STF! Second time logging in on my phone and the format looks good. I am using IE on my Android phone. The tapatalk ad is very persistently advertised so is it worth installing?

paul_f

Post by paul_f » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 am

Tapatalk is good, but currently the site isn't setup to use it.

Class 11 streeter

Post by Class 11 streeter » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:09 pm

paul_f wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 am
Tapatalk is good, but currently the site isn't setup to use it.
Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:12 am

After all the updates ( thanks doc) I stopped getting notifications, figured doc has had enough for awhile so I didn't mention it.

I looked in my Spam folder and WHALLAAA there they were. So check your Spam folder and make sure you have STF in your address. Things are running great, still learning the new tricks that the updates gave us.

Couple things to help if you are still having problems.

Have STF in your email addresses
Clear your cookies. (erases all the old update crap) on the computer not your table