A Break for Brakes?

FJCamper

A Break for Brakes?

Post by FJCamper »

Hi Doc,

I think we really need a BRAKES section. We don't have to go back and try to cull out all the old brake postings, just start a BRAKES section clean.

Of course, as a racer I don't know what all the fuss is about brakes. All they do is slow you down.

FJC
david58

Post by david58 »

Thats not a bad idea.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I am reluctant to start additional forums simply because we have so many already. Why is S&H not the proper place?

That said, I still continue to hope to switch to the version 3 software which allows forums within forums. Then we could have a brakes forum within S&H. And a dropped suspension forum. Etc. This would be a good thing.

I will certainly continue to listen to opinions on this.

doc
FJCamper

Re: A Break for Brakes?

Post by FJCamper »

Change the Forum: SUSPENSION & HANDLING to SUSPENSION. HANDLING, & BRAKES

Problem solved?

FJC
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

Damn this guy is smart ^^^^^ Nice FJC
david58

Post by david58 »

I agree
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
helowrench

Re:

Post by helowrench »

doc wrote:I am reluctant to start additional forums simply because we have so many already. Why is S&H not the proper place?

That said, I still continue to hope to switch to the version 3 software which allows forums within forums. Then we could have a brakes forum within S&H. And a dropped suspension forum. Etc. This would be a good thing.

I will certainly continue to listen to opinions on this.

doc
What kind of timeframe are you looking at before this change takes place, just out of curiosity?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

That's OK, I still think we need a WATERCOOLED forum...

It may be low traffic, but I have a feeling it would be nice to have an alternative...

The STF has an excellent tech oriented signal to noise ratio that at least all the watercooled sites I know of lack. Desperately..
(TDi club is great, but pretty model specific)

I think folks like Helowrench, Ray Greenwood and myself would find it helpful...
Many listers have later gen VWs as well.

Just sayin...
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

How about Peel, Squeal and Whoa! :lol:

Edit, agree that there needs to be a single source for information on brakes as well as some other topics but why in the competition forum, the type I forum, the off-road form much less than on any other forum? Is this a Nubie forum located sticky, basic information, with the other forums sending their questioners to it a good place/repository for the information as it covers so many different venues.

Lee
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Brakes should stay under suspension and handling. That is final.
s
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Why?

Lee
david58

Post by david58 »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Why?

Lee
Because you can't handle your car ifin you aint got no brakes. :D
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

david58 wrote:
Ol'fogasaurus wrote:Why?

Lee
Because you can't handle your car ifin you aint got no brakes. :D
FJCamper alluded to a quote from (very) famous F1 race car builder who used cable operated drum brakes for ages after hydraulics were in fashion,
(time passes...googling... googling...)
EDIT-- AHA!
(from http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/story_b.htm )
"A famous quote attributed to Ettore Bugatti after criticism of his brakes was: " I build my cars to go, not stop"."

On the other hand, consider:(from http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70413 )
"...it is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down".
Mario Andretti

That is as good an argument for keeping "brakes" with "suspension and handling" as I can come up with.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

We use brakes on the off-road section, Type III owners also use brakes, road racers, drag racers, Thing owners, Type II owners etc. all use brakes and often they are the same brakes using the same or different components or mixes of components that could be of benefit to others. There is so much information that is scattered around the different sites wouldn't it make sense for a single repository of the some of this information that can be easily found by someone just getting started in VWs as that is usually where they usually start posting.

Anyway; my reasons for the suggestion.

Lee
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

I agree, that's why (as mentioned earlier) "brakes" should be probably be appended to "suspension and handling", either literally or as a subforum when the new software hits.