Mileage forum

dawie

Mileage forum

Post by dawie »

Hi Doc,

Would it be possible to add a dedicated "mileage forum"? Intended for those of us interested about modifying a type 1 or type 4 engine to improve efficiency in order to reduce it's fuel consumption.

I think the nice thing about STF is the open-minded attitude of most of it's contributors/members. (Compared to another forum where politics, etc, sometimes make things difficult to discuss this subject).

While a type 4 mileage project may fit in under the type 4 forum, a type 1 project does not really fit into the engine rebuilding forum.

Thanks,
Dawie.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Mileage forum

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

This might not be a bad idea, it’s worth a discussion at the very least. There is a lot of talk about here about carburation, injection, turbos, gear and transaxle ratios, oil/lubrication products, tires, weight savings, safety product and so on but so much of the information is scattered all over the place.

With fuel prices now back over $4 a gallon, maybe even some driving tips and how to drive using a vacuum gauge might be in order.

Hmmm!

Lee
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I would like to see more discussion about fuel mileage project, but there is no way to separate it because it touches on everything.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

That's a great idea, I'm going to taking the notch on some longer trips this spring/summer, great opportunity to try some different things to max out the mileage. It would be awesome to have a section dedicated to just mileage.
ROCKITV8

Post by ROCKITV8 »

YOU GUYS WERE READING MY MIND !!!! This would be a GREAT addition to an aready GREAT board !!!!!!
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I'm cheap enough to read all the "mileage" threads and welcome more of same. However, it's hard for me to see the topic as a separate forum. Is there something wrong with "mileage" threads in the Engine Rebuild forum?

New forums add to our already too long list. Makes front page management somewhat more difficult and the list longer for members (particularly new members) to sort through.

Other input welcome.

doc
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Since the methodologies would be common to all platforms, there's no sense splitting it out as T1/T4 etc.

It could easily go in "engine management" or whatever it's called now.
"Engine Management" doesn't necessarily mean EFI, although having fine control is a primary requirement, I easily got my best fuel economy running 44 IDFs, probably due to better fuel vaporization. The carbs were just inconsistent...
fusername

Post by fusername »

sounds like a really good sticky subject to me, iwith links to perniant threads. someone would have to do the leg work of course, any volunteers/ not sure what forum the stickey would go in though.
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

I think in one of the engine forums would be good, maybe a sticky under Engine Management? One of the things I like about STF is the clean and basic forum structure. I'm on a Dodge forum as well and there are 66 forums with some having 8 subforums. It's a pain to find what you are looking for and not many eyes get on a lot of topics just because it's so segmented. Just my .04 (used to be .02 but the cost of gas has raised the prices of everything)
dawie

Post by dawie »

The mileage discussion could even include aerodynamics, gearing, wheel alignment, etc. Also different body applications like beetle, bus, karmann ghia, etc.

Maybe a good idea to hide this under engine management or type 4rum.
Problem is that some of this is highly controversial, and requires an open minded attitude. (Leaner mixtures, "flyway flier" or not, "bigger is better", flywheel mass, deck height, compression ratio).

As an example:
A decade ago the "semi-hemi/blue book tall deck height low compression" guys versus the "tight deck height/ super squishy high compression", Think general consensus on this have changed over the past few years.

In the end, an open minded discussion about aircooled mileage conversions will help people to understand that an aircooled engine can get good mileage as well.

There is some information out there that many people do not know about. Many overseas magazines at the time did thorough testing of fuel used at various constant speeds. (Fuel have always been more expensive most places elsewhere compared to the US.) So these figures about most aircooled vw's are available.
supaninja

Post by supaninja »

Since the last time I posted in this thread I took it up to Dallas and got 35-40 mpg (battery died in my GPS, but I know the miles traveled somewhat accurately). Right after that I went through my EFI system and made numerous changes. I just need to GPS my mileage and see if it's better or worst (judging from the decent increase in cruising vacuum, I'm guessing it will be better).

I like Pile's idea, sticky this in the engine management section. I'll then post all the specs on my engine, FI, AFR's, and timing.
dawie

Post by dawie »

So let's use the engine management section. :D
Sneaks

Post by Sneaks »

Have you started a thread yet?

<hint>
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

I hope you guys will take the reins and get a solid post going. We can sticky it no problem. It's a great and timely topic and a big part of vw's history. Most people bought the car because it was cheap and great on gas compared to 50s-60s Detroit iron.

Sneaks is right on, IMO. Not everything is just perfect at STF, but the relatively simple layout and good work by many mods and long termers usually gets folks where they need to be looking. Once close, the info takes over and we got 'em. Or they got us.

Works pretty good.

I can't help but remind, as well, that the site has been completely member supported for several years now. On the assumption that nobody's just sending us money randomly, we must be doing something good. Hats off to the members!! :D

OK, let's see the permanent "High Mileage" thread.

doc
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Suggestion:

Have a "core" high mileage sticky thread you can link related projects/discussion threads into, like one of Davids compiled "best of" stickies. (could include worthwhile legacy threads)

That's almost as good as it's own forum, in some ways it's better.