Looking for Sponsorship for Afghanistan Veteran Trike

EastCoastOffRoad

Looking for Sponsorship for Afghanistan Veteran Trike

Post by EastCoastOffRoad »

Looking to build a vw mid engine trike for a Canadian veteran of Afghanistan.
I have been gathering up motors and transaxles and other vw parts. I need help
with the frame, wheels/tires, brakes, shifter linkages, forks, leavers, and
all the small stuff to make it work.

If anyone there can help with this project let me know and thanks.
EastCoastOffRoad

Re: Looking for Sponsorship for Afghanistan Veteran Trike

The build is for a serving member of the Canadian forces who was in Afghanistan in 2008 on TF 1-08 Roto 5. Who has been diagnosed with Depression and PTSD form his service while in Afghanistan.

He has always loved to bike in the past and has always liked trikes. I was thinking this build may help him get out more often and maybe able to start to enjoy doing things again.

I was thinking if it was going to be too hard to build a mid engine vw trike then I would build him a rear engine trike as it looks easier and cheaper to do.

I am not trying to piss anyone off on here just asking for help to support guys that need it.

Thanks
Last edited by EastCoastOffRoad on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

Im not a veteran but i am an amputee(right below knee) due to being hit by a car while riding my motorcycle. I own a motorcycle shop and do alot of modifications for veterans with disabilitys to help them ride again.

Since your doing a trike, you will be using some motorcycle components for the front and if i can help with parts let me know. I cant really afford to donate high dollar stuff right now but ive got alot of used parts and i can give you a hefty discount on anything you want to buy new.
EastCoastOffRoad

frankysfree wrote:Im not a veteran but i am an amputee(right below knee) due to being hit by a car while riding my motorcycle. I own a motorcycle shop and do alot of modifications for veterans with disabilitys to help them ride again.

Since your doing a trike, you will be using some motorcycle components for the front and if i can help with parts let me know. I cant really afford to donate high dollar stuff right now but ive got alot of used parts and i can give you a hefty discount on anything you want to buy new.
Thanks

I have found an 78 goldwing I can use for some of the bike parts. (it was sponsored by a local bike shop)

I a was thinking like in this site http://jandshotrodasylum.com/VW_Trike.html for frame parts. If you or you know someone with build plans that would be a big help and or if you can make something like in the above site.

Any parts at all will be a big help.

Thanks
EastCoastOffRoad

Some things that will be need are: hydraulic brake, hydraulic clutch system, slave cylinder, shifter box welded on, shift linkage, battery box, break lines / cables , gas tank & mounting brackets.

Thanks
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

EastCoastOffRoad wrote:
frankysfree wrote:Im not a veteran but i am an amputee(right below knee) due to being hit by a car while riding my motorcycle. I own a motorcycle shop and do alot of modifications for veterans with disabilitys to help them ride again.

Thanks

I have found an 78 goldwing I can use for some of the bike parts. (it was sponsored by a local bike shop)

I a was thinking like in this site http://jandshotrodasylum.com/VW_Trike.html for frame parts. If you or you know someone with build plans that would be a big help and or if you can make something like in the above site.

Any parts at all will be a big help.

Thanks
Cool. I dont have any build plans as i usually just do modifications to let people still ride on 2 wheels but it looks like a nice setup there IMO.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

EastCoastOffRoad wrote:Some things that will be need are: hydraulic brake, hydraulic clutch system, slave cylinder, shifter box welded on, shift linkage, battery box, break lines / cables , gas tank & mounting brackets.

Thanks
I will look tomorrow and see what parts i have. All the things you mention i either have or can get you for cheap. What kind of gas tank? Harley tanks like they have in the link above?

Whats your location btw?
EastCoastOffRoad

frankysfree wrote:
EastCoastOffRoad wrote:Some things that will be need are: hydraulic brake, hydraulic clutch system, slave cylinder, shifter box welded on, shift linkage, battery box, break lines / cables , gas tank & mounting brackets.

Thanks
I will look tomorrow and see what parts i have. All the things you mention i either have or can get you for cheap. What kind of gas tank? Harley tanks like they have in the link above?

Whats your location btw?
Thank you for your help. Anything at all that you feel like sponsoring will be a big help.

I will pm you my mailing address.

Thank you
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

EastCoastOffRoad I applaud your efforts. Would it be possible to list your build plan and post your location, not physical address but just the city and if not that then pick one close to you. I can't remember his name but there was another guy I think in the Kit car forum I think who did a trike, it is not really our cup of tea but I am sure you can get some guys to help but the more info you can give will give people more info to go on.
EastCoastOffRoad

Leatherneck wrote:EastCoastOffRoad I applaud your efforts. Would it be possible to list your build plan and post your location, not physical address but just the city and if not that then pick one close to you. I can't remember his name but there was another guy I think in the Kit car forum I think who did a trike, it is not really our cup of tea but I am sure you can get some guys to help but the more info you can give will give people more info to go on.
I am in Pictou County, Nova Scotia, Canada.
EastCoastOffRoad

Maybe I am not that good at explaining myself and what I am doing. I am only trying to ask for help with this project as it will help a guy out that needs some help. I have been putting a lot of time and money into this build myself and I am only asking for people to help sponsor this build to help make it easier on my wallet as you don't get much of anything for free. No one has to help if they don't want to. I feel that this build is for a good cause, and I thank everyone who has helped and those who are going to help.

I don't mean to be pissing anyone off. I was just thinking where else is a better place to get help with a vw trike build than on a vw forum.

Once I get a frame started I will start to post pics and show how things are going and will be asking for you guys on your input of the build.

Thanks
EastCoastOffRoad

ordered this kit today
EastCoastOffRoad

Still waiting for the kit to come in. If anyone has any info and or parts or wants to help out in anyway please let me know.

For some reason I am on able to get this kit right now

Thanks
Last edited by EastCoastOffRoad on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
frankysfree

Post by frankysfree »

still need to go out and look at what i have. Havent forgot about you
EastCoastOffRoad

frankysfree wrote:still need to go out and look at what i have. Havent forgot about you
ok thanks