951 15" Phonies

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
TZepeSH

951 15" Phonies

Post by TZepeSH » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:53 am

Hello,
I bought from a 951 the front spindles, rotors and Brembo calipers and a complete rear axle, which was disassembled.
Problem is that I have 15" Cookie Cutters that hit the calipers. I found some info on Rennlist and Pelicanparts forums, that early Phone Dials 7x15" ET23 would fit. PN is 95136210400.
I have to use 15" wheels, it is very hard here to homologate bigger wheels. I barely made it for 185/65/15 fronts and 195/65/15 rears. I have to find a set and test, hopefully they fit, otherwise I have to stay with the older sliding calipers ATE.
Did anybody test this before?

Lanner

Re: 951 15" Phonies

Post by Lanner » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:06 am

There isnt a 15" phone dial wheel that will fit. The 16" phone dials will clear the calipers.

TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:32 pm

I will not be sure until I try a set. Several people said they installed 15" phonies without problems.
My cookies are almost fitting, but there is a "strangling" in cross-section where it rubs a little. The 951 coded 15" wheels seem not to have the strangling or it is further out, and combined with et23 seems not to hit the calipers. I'll post an update when i find a set to try.
16" or larger are not an option for me, and i like so much those brakes. Maybe more than i likes my cookies.

Piledriver

Post by Piledriver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Probably won't help, but T1s at least ALL originally came with 16" wheels... Perhaps not yours, but that was the only option until well after WW2.

Seems sort of an odd thing to restrict, but most bureaucracies are like that to some extent.

Welcome to the STF, Lanner.

TZepeSH, if that's the same Lanner I think it is, he has probably tried every possible combination of ~everything Porsche parts swap related at some point.
I, for one, regularly embrace our new robot overlords, as I am the guy fixing the robots...

TZepeSH

Post by TZepeSH » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:42 am

I think it is him, i know him from germanlook and I think he's also behind vdubengineering. I've got some parts from vdubengineering long time ago, very good parts and support. I totally respect his advice and work.
In this matter, I still want to test, because several people here in Europe used 15" wheels with 944t bralkes. I just found a set from the same guy who sold me the brakes, and he will test on one of his cars to see if they fit. Next week I shall get the wheels if all is ok.
The legislation here states that individual homologation is needed if the wheels were not mounted by factory on the specific model. Mine is a 1303s, so different model than the older 1200. There is also the tire width, I could only homologate the original size and width, not the wider ones I have now. I've homologated 185/65/15 and 195/65/15 some time ago, and it was crazy. It's amusing they charge 500 euros to turn the steering wheel side to side to see nothong hits, and they can even reject because they want to. I don't want to go through all of that again.
What bothers me more is that 17" wheels are homologated to another 1303s, so there is data that the wheels fit, bit authorities told me that it doesn't matter, there are no two identical cars and I have to make my own homologation if I want bigger wheels. Just Romanian authorities, I would go to a TUV anytime if it were available.