Sucessfull CRX "coil over" use on 1302

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Pooter

Sucessfull CRX "coil over" use on 1302

Post by Pooter »

Has anyone sucessfully used a Crx or honda aftermarket spring in place of a Maxx Strut? I am very close to installing my porsche Cup II's and 944NA brakes, and I am fiddling with crx springs on my 1302. However, I am running into problems. If someone could post a picture of their sucessfull conversion that would help immensly. I really just need some ideas about how I am going to do this.

Thanks,

Nick
RXBeetle

Post by RXBeetle »

I have a 1303 with crx springs and had a couple little hang ups. I used a cheapie ebay coil over kit for the threaded lower spring perch. No need I found out. The stock CRX springs straight into the lower spring perch would give a great slightly lowered ride height. I did cut a ring off of the lower spring perch, it has two steps as it tapers down. The first is where the stock spring sits (this is what I cut off) the second is just a "cup" shape that fits the CRX spring perfectly. I noticed the upper spring hat does not fit the crx spring very well. I just centered it and left it. It worked fine. once it's under pressure it doesn't move. My only real problem was with using golf struts (KYB-GR2), the insert is shorter. I just turned a spacer on the lathe to fit in the strut housing and still hold the insert securley when the cap is screwed down.
What problems are you having? Maybe I can help. I have a bunch of pics of the conversion but I have yet to get them online.
I also have a rear sway bar and the car handles AWESOME... at least compared to stock :lol:
Pooter

Post by Pooter »

well, I was first trying to use my adjust-a-struts as a basis for the conversion, but i soon realized that the threaded sleeve in my "coil over kit" was too small to fit over the housing of the adjust a strut.

So i have now resorted to shortening the stock strut (which has a smaller OD housing) and using the MK1 strut insert from the adjust a strut with the threaded sleeve that came with my "coil over kit", so then i will have a height adjustable and corner weight(able?) front end.

The only problem i am running into now is whether the MK1 insert from the adjust a strut will fit into the stock strut housing. I don't have a spring compressor, so It won't be easy to measure the ID of the stock strut housing.

If anyone can give me the ID of the stock strut housing, OR the wall thickness of the stock housing, that would help greatly.

RX beetle- If you could post pics, or even email them to me, it would help A LOT!

thanks,

Nick
RXBeetle

Post by RXBeetle »

I have dimensions and pics but I don't think they will be of any help...
hmmmm 1302-1303 are quite different. PM me your email address if you want the pics/dimensions though.