Making a Bay window bus handle

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
66 vdub

Making a Bay window bus handle

Post by 66 vdub »

Hi fellas I a 70 bus that I want to make handle. But still want to have it pretty low using a narrowed beam and what not. Help me out
mrsmythe

Post by mrsmythe »

Lowering your bus is a great start as you've lowered its centre of gravity, although to much will cause problems with the travel of the ball joints.

You should fit uprated anti roll bars front and rear, although as you want to run a narrowed beam this could be a problem cos AFAIK no one makes narrowed anti roll bars for buses, let alone heavy duty ones. You could try Franklins VW Werks to see if he does anything as he has been doing narrowed bus beams for a long time now, and its possible that CB Performance might have something in the works as they now do narrowed bus beams. Another option might be narrowing you beam by 2 inches and trying to fit a 2 inch narrowed bug anti roll bar. I suspect it is the correct width but would probably need some fidding with the mounting bushes (unfortunately you wouldnt be able to bolt it to teh trailing arms like a bus anti roll bar). I've also heard of people running shortened coilovers up front to provide some extra resistance with a narrowed beam.

Ok, back to the other handling aspects, uprated shocks, probably shortened, would be a good addition.

Larger wheels, 16" or 17" with lower profile tyres and more width in the rear to counteract any tail happiness cause by teh engine (although this will probably be counterbalanced by your weight in the cab).

also because your van is lowered watch for any places that might cause the tyres to catch
Last edited by mrsmythe on Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.