wheels

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
buggpower

wheels

Post by buggpower »

I am interested in these wheels an was wondering if there possible to run on a 72 standard bug with stock fenders front an rear w/o sticking out. Im aware Id need to convert to 4-100 bolt pattern and was looking for the offset, and i guess im reading it right it has a 38mm offset with the 16x7's, and 15x6 for front which has a 38mm backspace also, if im reading it right.Id also be running front disc brakes with a 2inch narrowed front beam to improve turning abilities up front.The disc brake kit i might get when money comes in my hands are from Cip1 and rear drums drilled out to 4-100's if that helps?
This is the drum brakes
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....23%2D501%2D301
And disc brake kit
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails....C%2DC10%2D4121
MunkyKing

Post by MunkyKing »

Sorry buggpower but your links don't work on my PC! :(
Then again my goldfish has more memory and processing power... :lol:
69_Dreamz

Post by 69_Dreamz »

Simple answer is yes. I have a 69 with stock front and rear fenders, had 17x7 rims with a 38 offset then bought a new set of 17x7 with a 40 offset. Keep in mind however that the rear end of a bug (the axle or snout) may cause some problems depending on the rim you choose.

Original set with the 17x7 38mm offset

And the new set 17x7 with 40mm offset, I kicked the rear of the rim out with a 7mm spacer to clear the axle nut.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and have a great day! 8)
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

Did you have to do any cutting on the inside of the wheel wells in the rear?I was told that in order to run 7inch wide rims, there would be cutting needed.
69_Dreamz

Post by 69_Dreamz »

Nope,

Didn't cut a thing. Pretty much straight bolt on after I got the 4x100 drums from CSP. Main thing is the offset,a 38mm fits front and back with out a problem (or at least with my car), also, make sure the center of the rim is big enough for the rear axle nut or you may need to grind it down a bit to make the center cap go on.

Aloha and have a great day!
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

I know this is the direct opposite I want to do but, just wondering.My curent rims are 0 offset with a 2inch backspacing, they stick out front and rear a half inch. I seen that American Racing is making a replica of my rim, but in a 15x7 unfortunately, and its a 5 lug but in a chevy bolt pattern (mine is stock 4 lug) The ones they have, have a 0 offset with 4inch back spacing. If my rims have 0 offset and 2inch backspacing, and only stick out half and inch, would those stick out about and inch?
Yeah 5 lug in rear and 4 lug up front...how would that work out (rear being addapters of course)?Its just a thought, I like my current rims , its just there to narrow for what I want., you know for front and rear..
69_Dreamz

Post by 69_Dreamz »

it sounds like the rim you want to use is a rear wheel drive rim which may cause all kinds of problems if you are looking to run 17'z. Stick with a front wheel drive rim as the have more to offer when it comes to offsets and the like. I am not sure what a 0 offset and 2" back space is in relation to a bug, so stay clear of the unknown unless you have the time and the money to play with.

I chose not to narrow my front end because I like the look of the wheel being flush with the fender while others prefer the "tucked" look up front. Also didn't want the whole business of cutting and welding, and so on.

Lastly, keep the all the lug patterns the same, try not to mix up 5 lug in the back and 4 lug up front because when/if you ever try to replace the wheels, many companies sell the wheels as a package and when you break the package they try to break your pockets. :cry:

Hope this helps :P

Aloha and have a great day!
buggpower

Post by buggpower »

What about this...I been thinking my rims stuck out farther than I really thought they actually did.There 15x4.5inch rims (similar to Ansens) with 195/60/15's front and rear. How do you guys think it would look with fenders in the rear that are 1.25" wider and then narrow the frontend 2 or 3inches, enough to tuck them inside a little, not alot.Then Id be able to lower the front and rear enogh to where the tires tuck inside the fenders, not slammed but like 3-4inches, most likely 3inches in front and rear.
Im just playing with ideas...would you think that would look right, wide fenders in rear with 15x4.5inch rims with 195/60's?

PS: they stick out and inch.