1303 tube frame in the works

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
vw1303

1303 tube frame in the works

Post by vw1303 »

Started to build a roll cage for the 1303 but then decided to make it a full tube frame. Basically I want to be able to drive the car without the body on. This is the first months progress.
64bug

Post by 64bug »

looking good so far!
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

any idea how you are going to do the front strut mounts ect.
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Thanks guys- For the front struts I'm going to cut a plate that is similar to the body and then have an x bar going forward to the frame head and an x bar going from the top of the struts to the control arm brackets. I want this setup to use all the stock suspension points because designing double a arm suspension or some other exotic suspension will take too much time now.

Anybody else with tube frame cars that has some pics? or just roll bars pics too would be great.
Barry

Post by Barry »

My mate has had this one in the shop for a while

http://www.clubvw.org.au/dak_to_the_future.htm

Getting closer - but so is Christmas :lol:
david58

Post by david58 »

Are there any up-dates to this thread?
Hot, humid air is less dense than cooler, drier air. This can allow a golf ball to fly through the air with greater ease, as there won't be as much resistance on the ball.
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Ah yes updates. - I had to end up buying a tube bender because some of the piece from the "kit" did not fit. The roof halo and forward bars didn't fit to my liking. I would suggest anyone building a roll cage to buy a tube bender instead of buying a "kit". I will be bending up a new roof halo and forward bars this weekend.
JVLRacing

Post by JVLRacing »

vw1303 wrote:Thanks guys- For the front struts I'm going to cut a plate that is similar to the body and then have an x bar going forward to the frame head and an x bar going from the top of the struts to the control arm brackets. I want this setup to use all the stock suspension points because designing double a arm suspension or some other exotic suspension will take too much time now.

Anybody else with tube frame cars that has some pics? or just roll bars pics too would be great.
Nice stuff! checkout under Suspension and handling section under topic "another circuit racer saying hi" Full tube frame racer.I can send pics to your email of chassis work as well.JVLRacing
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Finally some progress...... Re bent the Halo and the Forward bars. I'm going to do the front strut section in aluminum as well as the rear brace.
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

looks good so far.
JVLRacing

Post by JVLRacing »

vw1303 wrote:Finally some progress...... Re bent the Halo and the Forward bars. I'm going to do the front strut section in aluminum as well as the rear brace.
ok looks the goods,Just make sure your cage ties in with shell also, for extra stiffness.You would benefit also running the cage piping towards the front of the shell also.If you need pics i can send some pics of my race car to you.Send your email if wanting. :wink:
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Yeah the cage is going to bolt to as many existing locations on the stock body. Like floor pan bolts, seat belt mounts and I'll prolly throw a few others in there too, plus the i'm using the a new frame head and the rear of the body will bolt to the shock towers.. Yeah post up some pics of your friends cage. I always like to see other peoples creations.
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

Started to seam weld everything together. Then the power went out, then the power came back on, then we ran out of gas. This is taking forever.
southsidebugs

Post by southsidebugs »

that picture makes my head hurt. why did you take it while hanging from your ceiling
Ephry73

Post by Ephry73 »

That will turn out to be sweet. Exactly what grade of tube are you using?

E