CCC 1st pair of Fiberglass DOORS!

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
Ryan Huebler

CCC 1st pair of Fiberglass DOORS!

Post by Ryan Huebler »

These doors are most amazing. They are light and very strong. They will be going on my Euro Performer. Contact the good people at Creative Craft for more information or post questions here for me.
1303wasserbug

Post by 1303wasserbug »

would you trust them on a daily driver? maybe if they where carbon kevlar. but thats gonna cost loads. how much where they? look really good
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

The Panel surface is Carbon Kevlar reinforced. As far as trusting them on a daily, I do so far. They are really strong and very well built.
Wally

Post by Wally »

Cool!
What is their exact weight and ..how much $$?
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

We used a bathroom scale and stock doors with no paint/tar/hardware come in at 36lbs, and then the fiberglass doors as shown in the picture came in at 16lbs.

As for the price you will have to talk to CCC. I'm working on installing all the hardware today. So I will post some pictures of my progess and how I did things tonight.
Wally

Post by Wally »

That is a real nice gain! Tnx.
So let me rephrase, what did you pay? :lol: :lol:

Best regards,
Walter
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

I think my total order from them was something like $1350 for everything I baught from them. I would say I've shaved probably 100lbs from all my fiberglass parts. :twisted:
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

Well. After a long day of work I got all of the brackets out of my doner doors. I fitted much of the windows and did a good deal of planning. Then I started to cut holes in the right places. After that I finished up the night by getting the handles installed in nicely.
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

as usual nice work Ryan

Dan

Ps a budy of mine has a set from MK-5 sitting around not as nice but for race car stuff they work fine they come in at about 12lbs
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

David made these as close to a stock door as possible. He also made them stronger for the daily driver aspect. I do have to say after doing a lot of test fitting, I'm really impressed with how well everything fits. But the best part is is how light they are. My friends are amazed at the weight differnces bettwen the stock door and a fiberglass one. I'm truely happy with the way these came out.
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

Ran into some small problems today while installing the hinges. The thinkness of the fiberglass became the issue in getting the correct hinge placement. So I will mill the inside of the part of the hinge that goes inside the door tomarrow. Bringing down the hinge thinkness to about .120" this should compenste for the extra thinkness from the fiberglass.
Wally

Post by Wally »

With those light doors, that shold not pose a problem at all I think. Just pity you have to do the extra custom work. Maybe they could offer them with remachined hinges on an exchange basis if all of the production units have this issue?
www.apfelbeck.nl
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

Tonight I reworked the Bottem hinge on the driver's door.

Instead of milling the hinge surface down I rechecked the gaps around the door and did a better fitment and then decided to cut off the inner side of the hinge and replace it with a piece of 3/16" sheet metal in the correct spot in order to get the correct function and spacing the door needed. Since I made the mating surface considerly smaller I will bolt a piece of plate on bothe sides of the hinge/fiberglass/brackets to make it one solid mounting system to evenly and widely spread out the force on the door. Here is the hinge before and after:

Blue is the Hinge
Red are the plates
Orange is the Door
Greend is the bracket
Light blue is the bolt
Wally

Post by Wally »

Extremely nice work Ryan! :shock:
www.apfelbeck.nl
Ryan Huebler

Post by Ryan Huebler »

I got stuck working on friend's cars the last couple days. I did mange to get some time in on the doors yesterday and this morning. I got all 4 hinges modifed. Along with some of the other little backing plates and such. Here is some pictures.

The plate on the outside has 2 threaded shafts welded to it that bolts everything together sandwhiching it all into one strong attachment point.
This is the inside. I haven't made the plate to go over the green bracket yet to complete the sandwhich. I will also be riviting the green bracket to the door where the door panels attach at to add strength and be hidden.

I had the door bolted up and it swung under its own weight very nicely. The top hinge is almost done. The green bracket for it needs to be modifyed a little more for a perfect fit.