Post up your Porsche Fan setups.

You know, de-chromed, big Porsche rims, Brembos, etc.,... German Look rules!
vw1303

Post up your Porsche Fan setups.

Post by vw1303 »

Just got my porsche fan in the mail. Sand Blasted it, sanded it, polished it, and painted it. Can't wait to fit it to the motor. I have a Fat Performance shroud and stand. Still have to do a final polish on the housing. It's going to be a mirror. I've wanted one of these since the first time I laid eyes on a porsche fan. Let's see those Porsche Fan setups.
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Gonna be pretty!! T1 or T4?

If you are so inclined, I think many would be interested in the true cost of your setup. There is always comparitive talk about the Porsche style vs. Raby's DTM vs. the Cali Conversion setup. You might also comment on the ease (or lack thereof) of the installation.

We'll look forward to seeing pics of the install. Good luck.

doc
vw1303

Post by vw1303 »

I paid $500 for the fan, strap, alternator, and FAT Performance shroud. I need to fab an oil filler and that's about it. Oh yeah it's for a type1. I also have 8 hours in polishing and cleaning the old fan because it was corroded to hell. There is no substitute for the porsche fan. Raby's DTM supposedly works better but it just doesn't look cool. Porsche fan all the way. I was checking out Bernie Bergmann setup but they look to be chinese fans and the are over a grand. Let's see those real porsche fan setups.
Cohibra45

Post by Cohibra45 »

Jakes DTM does work better and he has the data to prove it! If all you care about is looks, then by all means, go with the Porsche set up. I personally want my engine to last and I am planning on a daily driver so I want performance over 'looks' anyday :twisted: .

Good luck and take care,

Kelly
Last edited by Cohibra45 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly (Cohibra45)

When only the BEST will do............

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

That looks pretty good...I need to do that with the 911 fan i bought when I get ready to use it. Did you just clear coat the fan housing when you got through with polishing it, or is it bare?

The 911 shrouds can be made to cool properly on a T4 engine, but I don't know about T1. They do look good, but the main reason I want to put a FAT 911 conversion on my engine someday is because I am putting it in a sandrail, and the fact is that there is more offroad support for the FAT shroud than for the DTM...like the single carb intakes they sell, and some of the other offroad specific parts...

Now back on the subject...can you go over what you did on the fan housing in more detail and give the brand of paint you used?
Wally

Post by Wally »

Double post..
Last edited by Wally on Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
Wally

Post by Wally »

www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

Thanks, Wally for posting the 2 different setups to compare.

doc
pantswagen

Post by pantswagen »

bas

sold the 901
-got a 930 -need a fan now though

this is fer sale 901 ring cut to 260mm
£70
pantswagen

Post by pantswagen »

oi wally
-do me some o dem cut down 411 boxes with the heater cases on!!!!
:shock:
Wally

Post by Wally »

pantswagen wrote:oi wally
-do me some o dem cut down 411 boxes with the heater cases on!!!!
:shock:
You have PM :wink:
www.apfelbeck.nl
64bug

Post by 64bug »

73 KAFER

Post by 73 KAFER »

64bug wrote:Image
NICE 8)

Mark
Cam

Post by Cam »

Cohibra45 wrote:Jakes DTM does work better and he has the data to prove it! If all you care about is looks, then by all means, go with the Porsche set up. I personally want my engine to last and I am planning on a daily driver so I want performance over 'looks' anyday :twisted: .

Good luck and take care,

Kelly
I would really like to see the data proving it, can't say I recall seeing any posted before, but may of missed it. If you wouldn't mind posting the info (or e-mailing it to me to avoid high jacking the thread) I would really appreciate it.

I love the look of 911 fans -especially with carbon shrouds- and everyone who runs them seems to swear by them.
I know of some of big horsepower VW's here in Australia running 911 fans without any problems and whilst in Germany every VW I saw there was using the 911 set-up, including a couple of Type 4 powered 1303's at the nurburgring.

Cheers,
Cam
Daniel G

Post by Daniel G »

Wally wrote: Image

Who produces this one?